CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire recommendation sought.

Zero Knievel

8 hours ago, jon haney said:

That's fine, but don't expect everyone else to wait for you.  Make sure you know the whole route, and planned stops before hand, otherwise you might find yourself riding alone the whole day.  For the record, I've never "got a knee down", even on the many track days I've done.  Not flexible enough for that, apparently.

Knee packs are too expensive. 

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

I stole' it, I did.

EinsteinRelativityQuote.png

When you're courting your sister, an hour seems like a second.  When your dad catches you, a second feels like an hour.  That's Alabama relativity.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, jon haney said:

That's fine, but don't expect everyone else to wait for you.  Make sure you know the whole route, and planned stops before hand, otherwise you might find yourself riding alone the whole day.  For the record, I've never "got a knee down", even on the many track days I've done.  Not flexible enough for that, apparently.

HOLD UP! aren't you a drag racer? A knee down would be a bad thing in that situation IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Is that why you arrived with a pissed off look on your face? I was standing in the parking lot saw you and ? arrive, you looked very unhappy.

Hah, don't recall that, but probably.  I was ready to be there, and held back.  Dude had also asked me if we were close, and done riding for the day, when we got to ALPINE AZ!  Had never ridden him before (and I'm sure I don't have to say, since then either).  I know to ask a Gold Wing rider if we're going to stick to speed limits, never thought to interview a XX rider.

He crashed on the way back because we were doing about 8 over and he saw a cop, locked up the front RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE COP.  The cop later asked WTF and said he had no care what our speed was in the middle of nowhere.

image.png

7 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Especially when you consider what one knee costs.

You should read manual for knee sliders.

5 hours ago, JoWhee said:

HOLD UP! aren't you a drag racer? A knee down would be a bad thing in that situation IMO. 

Yes, I am, and yes, it would.  I have also completed the Star Racing School (twice), and done a couple dozen track days just for fun, no competition.  It definitely helps make you a better road rider.  That is why I recommended it to Mike.  Having more skill/confidence also makes having to keep within the traffic laws, and sharing the road with cages more painful.

Edited by jon haney

Speed + confidence = smoothness. All fast guys I know are insanely smooth riders. Street and racetrack.

There is no safe substitute to racetrack training.

• Upvote 1

Revzilla replied to my inquiry....

....The Michelin Road 5 Tires, generally speaking, tend to have a pretty long lifespan. That being said, tire lifespans can certainly vary from bike-to-bike and person-to-person. I would also recommend checking out the Pirelli Angel Gt II Tires and Continental Road Attack 3 GT Tires.

Thoughts?  I won’t get tires until August before my trip to Utah, but I’d like to nail down what I wish to try next before then.

Thanks.

It's funny, before reading this latest post I was thinking, "Does mike know about the reputation of the Conti Road Attacks?"  I have no direct experience with them, but heard great things from high-mile sporty riders.

Utah...you gonna be in AZ at all?

No plans at this time.  Why?  The closest thing to me in Arizona I’d consider doing again is US-191, and the start point would be an 11 hour run from where I’d be (Alpine, AZ).  A direct shot to Phoenix, AZ would be about the same.

I’ll be attending “WeSTOC 25.”  It was supposed to be last year, but Covid hit and it was cancelled.  Thought it would be nice to get out and try to meet different people.  It will be in Park City, Utah (not “far” from Salt Lake City) and run from August 23rd to 26th, 2021.  I have a room with two beds but no roommate committing to share at this time.  There is a $95 registration fee, but it covers the typical stuff one expects from a shindig with things like:

• Two Meals (including the Banquet Buffet)
  • Name Tag and Neck Lanyards
  • Registration Package
  • Contest Materials for Prize Draws and Awards
  • Bike Wash Supplies
  • Map Room Displays
  • Equipment and Room Rentals

Largely a ST group, but they seem friendly enough.

http://westoc.org

Edited by Zero Knievel

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

It's funny, before reading this latest post I was thinking, "Does mike know about the reputation of the Conti Road Attacks?"  I have no direct experience with them, but heard great things from high-mile sporty riders.

Hmmm...second endorsement I’ve heard for the Road Attacks. :)  Progress....

Eureka Springs is cheap. Park City is Vail of Utah. Except skiing much better in Vail. 

I'm guessing most of attendees will be dentists, attorneys, etc. Hope you don't have loud pipe on your bike. 

8 hours ago, tomek said:

I'm guessing most of attendees will be dentists, attorneys, etc. Hope you don't have loud pipe on your bike. 

I’d suspect that BMW will send Fritz and Hanz to rough me up if I modify the exhaust system. 😂

• Like 1