CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire recommendation sought.

Zero Knievel

When the RS had its accident, BMW installed Michelin Road 5 tires.  Just after 6,500 miles, the front is already down to the wear bars on one side. :( 

I was used to getting 10K on a rear and 12K to 15K on the XX.  I believe I was running Pilot Road 3 and then Pilot Road 4.

What would you recommend for better longevity.  I honestly need durability more than performance.  Consider that a serious trip can come out to 9K to 10K miles.

The road 5 comes in a GT version, it is supposed to last a little longer. That being said I've never had a tire last 6500 miles, it must be my fat ass.  My road 5 gt front was toast just under 6000miles, I'm lucky to get 5000 miles out of a rear. I run weights up front and balance beads in the rear, I've never had an issue or cupping of a tire until it was due for replacement. 

Unfortunately, Michelin has discontinued the 5gt in my size, so I'll probably run a 5 until the front wears out then replace them with a set of Angel gt2, unless the Dunlop Mutant drops in price is in stock. 

• Upvote 1

For your riding style, that is pretty bad mileage for a front tire.  Maybe the BMW shop didn't quite get your baby back to newish condition?  Might want verify that everything is straight/aligned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jon haney said:

For your riding style, that is pretty bad mileage for a front tire.  Maybe the BMW shop didn't quite get your baby back to newish condition?  Might want verify that everything is straight/aligned.

Most likely operator error.

For all the fun intended, can we keep this limited to tire recommendations?  I know full well that tires geared more for "performance" do so at the cost of longevity.

18 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

For all the fun intended, can we keep this limited to tire recommendations?  I know full well that tires geared more for "performance" do so at the cost of longevity.

Fine, but what's causing uneven wear? You ride clockwise at all times??

5 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Fine, but what's causing uneven wear? You ride clockwise at all times??

The guy who caught the wear said it was common in some BMWs.  I just double checked, and really, the wear is largely even on both sides.  A little more on the right side, but we’re talking just a little bit.

Posting this link so I don't lose it....

https://www.motorcycle.com/products/best-motorcycle-touring-tires

Avon Cobra AV72/AV71 – $186-$423

Bridgestone G709/704 Exedra Goldwing – $248-$324

Continental Conti Tour – $125-$252

Dunlop Elite 4/American Elite – $170-$375

Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra – $152-$534

Michelin Commander 2 – $175-$379

Pirelli Angel GT 2 – $208-$316

Most of those tires are for touring rigs. Like gold wings, baggers etc… I’m not sure how happy you’d be with a set of 888's on your BMW. They wear like iron and are about as sticky. 

• Upvote 1

I had to buy rear hd spec'd dunlop something on way back from Alaska. The grip was ok in summer with extra load on the bike. However, once the temps dropped, no load, riding in the rain become nerve wrecking proposition. So much wheel spin leaving traffic light - it got old very quickly. The other factor was decreased ride quality. Tire was twice as heavy as "normal" ST rubber and extremely stiff. Close to 20 pounds vs. something around 10 for more "normal" tire. That's unsprung weight, kinda important.

On positive side it did wear like iron,  should go easily 10 k plus. 

I mean honest 10 k plus miles, because some of the milage people report on sticky rubber is really uneffingbelievable. I have combined 6 k miles on it, it still looks almost brand new. Lol.

If I ever ride to Alaska again I'll probably throw something of that nature in the rear so I can do trip without rubber change. Other than distance it is easy ride, not many turns, etc, less than perfect handling won't matter. 

Edited by tomek

8 hours ago, JoWhee said:

Most of those tires are for touring rigs. Like gold wings, baggers etc… I’m not sure how happy you’d be with a set of 888's on your BMW. They wear like iron and are about as sticky. 

True, but there should be something “in between” that suits my needs.  Do motorcycle tires have a longevity rating like car tires?  Where can I find it?

4 hours ago, tomek said:

On positive side it did wear like iron,  should go easily 10 k plus. 

I mean honest 10 k plus miles, because some of the milage people report on sticky rubber is really uneffingbelievable. I have combined 6 k miles on it, it still looks almost brand new. Lol.

I got 10K easily out of my Pilot Road 4.  These Road 5 tires just aren’t holding up.

Remind me and Tuesday I’ll stop by Good Times. I got a Road 5 GT (I don’t think they use “pilot” anymore) last year for a very competitive price. Mounting and all that brought it to $250.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

True, but there should be something “in between” that suits my needs.  Do motorcycle tires have a longevity rating like car tires?  Where can I find it?

I got 10K easily out of my Pilot Road 4.  These Road 5 tires just aren’t holding up.

I've heard the Angel GT's get great mileage, and are decent in the twisties. However, is it possible you're riding the BMW a little more aggressively that you did the bird? It would explain the increased tire wear. 

1 hour ago, JoWhee said:

I've heard the Angel GT's get great mileage, and are decent in the twisties. However, is it possible you're riding the BMW a little more aggressively that you did the bird? It would explain the increased tire wear. 

I’d like to think that, but based on the critiques I got on the last group ride, I’d question that.  To be fair, they claimed they’d go 10-15 over the limit, but I was pushing 20-25 over just to keep up. :( 

9 hours ago, JoWhee said:

However, is it possible you're riding the BMW a little more aggressively that you did the bird?

.......  .

de2684dd-7995-405c-8823-be3d8a0bea47.gif

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:36 AM, JoWhee said:

If you count jumping curbs as more aggressive, then, yes.  I also think he should get the Angel GT's.

On 5/23/2021 at 8:57 AM, Zero Knievel said:

I’d like to think that, but based on the critiques I got on the last group ride, I’d question that.  To be fair, they claimed they’d go 10-15 over the limit, but I was pushing 20-25 over just to keep up. :( 

That was 10-15 over on the straights.  We just don't slow down as much as you on the curves.  You have done too many miles on two wheels, to be as slow as you were in Arkansas.  I think a track-day class would do your confidence a world of good.  Just don't argue with the instructor when he tells you you're doing it wrong.

10 hours ago, jon haney said:

That was 10-15 over on the straights.  We just don't slow down as much as you on the curves.  You have done too many miles on two wheels, to be as slow as you were in Arkansas.  I think a track-day class would do your confidence a world of good.  Just don't argue with the instructor when he tells you you're doing it wrong.

I’m not interested in speed.  I’m happy just staying smooth in a turn.  Frankly, I’ve noticed some deterioration in my reflexes, so I’m even more conservative in my riding.  I want to have a good ride and get home in one piece...not get a knee down.

7 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I’m not interested in speed.  I’m happy just staying smooth in a turn.  Frankly, I’ve noticed some deterioration in my reflexes, so I’m even more conservative in my riding.  I want to have a good ride and get home in one piece...not get a knee down.

That's fine, but don't expect everyone else to wait for you.  Make sure you know the whole route, and planned stops before hand, otherwise you might find yourself riding alone the whole day.  For the record, I've never "got a knee down", even on the many track days I've done.  Not flexible enough for that, apparently.

"I only do 5 over."

--Copernicus

For any who don't remember, I rode to Cody with a guy who wanted to stay less than five over, and really really would be against doing 10 over in the middle of nowhere.  I'm talking Devil's Highway middle of nowhere.  That was a long trip.