CBR1100XX.org Forum

Changing your own tires...how much is involved?

Zero Knievel

4 minutes ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

I just got the harbor fraught balancer last year.

Hazard Fraught, keep it under 20MPH and it should be fine might not kill you.

Nearest shop to me is 60 miles, but I've been changing tires since 1972.

Can't balance a beemer rear without a wheel specific adapter, use beads.

Handiest bars I have are the BeadPro by MotionPro.  I've changed auto tires using those.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0536

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 6:33 AM, RXX said:

Cycle gear will do it while you wait. (Wheels off the bike) It is maybe $35 a wheel. I can gauran-damn-tee you BMW has figured out a way to make R/R as difficult as possible. That is not an unreasonable price for factory-authorized R/R. I have also bought tires there. As competitive as anywhere else, without going insane trying to find the very cheapest.

Let me know if you decide to go to Good Times. I’ll pick you up and we can go to Tits R Us and grab a beer.

Looks like it will be Cycle Gear.  I'm still waiting to hear from BMW to confirm costs, but if the Knoxville store confirms they can do BMW (single sided swingarms), it may be best for me to order the tires from them and let them install it when the time comes.  Yeah, a 2-hour trip each way, but nobody near me bothers to respond to e-mails or "contact us" forms.

And who the fuck wants to pick up a phone in 2021?  Also I just mistrust people/places that don't respond.  I've bought my last three vehicles either 100% or 90% by email, the only way to do it.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Looks like it will be Cycle Gear.  I'm still waiting to hear from BMW to confirm costs, but if the Knoxville store confirms they can do BMW (single sided swingarms), it may be best for me to order the tires from them and let them install it when the time comes.  Yeah, a 2-hour trip each way, but nobody near me bothers to respond to e-mails or "contact us" forms.

Yeah, I didn’t think about them being BMW wheels. 

No shit, you give me EXACTLY what you want done, when you want it done, and I will stop by and get you a written quote and shop date. I stop at the stop light twice every day so it would take less time than a phone call. Those guys spends big bucks supporting the BMW brand. They deserve a chance at your dough.

I’m looking to go with the Continental Road Attack III as it’s the best rated tire for longevity with sizes that fit my bike.  Basic mount and balance.  Given the distance, it will be better for me to carry the wheels in than ride 2 hours each way.  I’m going to do it before my trip in August…so the first Saturday…August 7.

Well, BMW in Asheville, NC quoted me $504.79 for carry in wheels.  CycleGear would be $450.02 (tires and labor w/o additional fees).  No reply from Knoxville BMW.

Frankly, Asheville has a nicer setup, and frankly put, a nicer place for customers to wait while a vehicle is serviced.  Knoxville pretty much has nothing.  If it wasn't more convenient, I'd consider going to Asheville for any service I need from a dealer.

9 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Well, BMW in Asheville, NC quoted me $504.79 for carry in wheels.  CycleGear would be $450.02 (tires and labor w/o additional fees).  No reply from Knoxville BMW.

Frankly, Asheville has a nicer setup, and frankly put, a nicer place for customers to wait while a vehicle is serviced.  Knoxville pretty much has nothing.  If it wasn't more convenient, I'd consider going to Asheville for any service I need from a dealer.

You are right. I am in Asheville right now and the shop is right around the corner from Casablanca Cigar Bar. Great place to sit and smoke.