CBR1100XX.org Forum

'97 Bird in Tucson

I wouldn't buy a used vehicle at distance without seeing it myself, knowing the seller, or having one of our distinguished forum friends put eyes on it, or it being so cheap I couldn't lose, all of which have happened. Unfortunately, there are a lot of assholes out there, you know.

A 97 with 100k in Tucson, there's almost zero chance I didn't ride with this guy at some point.  I'm out of town for a week, if you wanted it looked at I could make a trip after that.  But I'm guessing it will sell fairly easily.  Well, except miles scare some people.  I don't have any mechanically inclined friends in Tucson any more for a quick check.  You're welcome to start a conversation and use my name and bike details and ask if he remembers me (2000 Ti bird, rode with the Speedway or "pizza place" crowd).

8 hours ago, DBLXX said:

Hmmm....where have we heard this before.  Photos could be from the day he/she bought it. 

Looks like the seller listed the truth in their ad.

1997 CBR 1100XX for only $1500?! NO, this listing in not a mistake. I've had this bike since 1998 and rode it everyday for years, it took good care of me and I took good care of it. It has been sitting in storage for the last 4 years. Just got a new battery and brake fluid purge and replacement, but it will need a replacement Fuel Diaphram (Honda Part PETCOCK COVER SET #16953-ML0-024). Rear faring has a crack near the foward bolt, small dent on side fuel tank, the rest of the farings are original and in great condition. 102,250 miles

10 hours ago, DBLXX said:

Hmmm....where have we heard this before.  Photos could be from the day he/she bought it. 

One owner, photo shows the odometer, damage/needed repairs outlined...I trust it more than I trusted "like new super low miles!"

I'm glad I'm traveling or I'd be super tempted to buy and do a refresh.  If it's still there when I get back, it's a sign that god loves me and she wants me to have it.

19 minutes ago, TOXXIC said:

Chick in the video needs “broken in”.

Yup yup yup...especially if she can get deals on motor oil.

28 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Yup yup yup...especially if she can get deals on motor oil.

Correct. Especially if she is lube friendly and three hole eligible.

• 2 weeks later...

There's the hassle of having to fiddle with the choke, and when it sits a long time it takes a while of cranking to re-prime the carbs, but the system hasn't let me down.  Upsides, you won't have a FPR or harness test connector failure.

I'm in Rita Ranch Rucson, AZ.  I replaced the fuel diaphragm already and it starts up, but runs a bit rough.  It was in storage for about 4 years and the gas dried out inside and probably gunked everything up.  I ran some carb cleaner through last night and will give it another try today to see if anything changed.  But it was running real nice when I put it in storage.
Michael

Wow!  It's possible.  I used to ride in that group and those years, there was 4 of us with XXs.  We did a really good ride to Bisbee once, we topped em all out just outside Tombstone on that long straight away toward Bisbee.  I've got some old pictures I'll have to find them.  Nope it's never been down and in really good condition.  There is a crack on the left side, front corner of back fender, that I have some aluminum tape on, you can see it on one the pics on cycle trader.
Michael

Yeah, we rode together 20 years ago.

Tips on getting a rental trailer that doesn't suck?