CBR1100XX.org Forum

'92 Jeep Comanche

It's a friend's, he's had it a very long time, guessing around 20 years.  I don't have a price from him.  He knows they're rare and somewhat sought after so it won't be a give-away, but if someone here's interested I might be able to get a decent price.  143k miles, 5 speed, 4.0L., 2wd.  I did some street and highway driving, no issues other than the gas gauge being dead, probably the sender, maybe just a loose or broken wire, haven't checked.  The engine is oily all over, but no drips on the ground here so far.  The harmonic balancer was coming apart, I just replaced it.  

In Wisconsin, there would only be a pile if rust with some plastic and rubber bits... The oil on the engine is a self-corrosion avoidance feature like a Scott-oiler.

...like this?

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by XXitanium
  • Like 1

Thing is crying for an axle swap and a TC install.

You can partially disregard my question in the Gladiator thread. I don't think they are all that rare of sought after in 2WD form, maybe in So. Cal where snow and 4WD isn't as sought after. Always stunned by how many 2WD trucks there are in Texas.

The same guy also has a '97 2 door 2WD XJ that he originally bought to do a 4.7 stroker build with, but then life changed so it's also for sale.  He's that rare guy that'll pay more for a 2WD because he doesn't want that shit so he thinks they're worth more.  And he might be right, four dudes on the planet will pay more for 2WD, the rest of the population will skip past his ad.

The XJ is being stored at another buddy's house and he told me that he was pretty sure $1500 would get it so I considered buying it and doing a build, but the owner wants more so I let it go.  The owner doesn't need the money, neither vehicle is in his way, guessing they'll both sit for a while with nothing happening.

12 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The same guy also has a '97 2 door 2WD XJ that he originally bought to do a 4.7 stroker build with, but then life changed so it's also for sale.  He's that rare guy that'll pay more for a 2WD because he doesn't want that shit so he thinks they're worth more.  And he might be right, four dudes on the planet will pay more for 2WD, the rest of the population will skip past his ad.

The XJ is being stored at another buddy's house and he told me that he was pretty sure $1500 would get it so I considered buying it and doing a build, but the owner wants more so I let it go.  The owner doesn't need the money, neither vehicle is in his way, guessing they'll both sit for a while with nothing happening.

I have no idea why, but I like the symmetry of the 2 door XJ. Power to weight radiation would be pretty slick if it had the 4.0 motor. I love watching the Hadji videos of the boys in Saudi Arabia taking them up the dunes with 5.3 swaps, they sound awesome. 

1 hour ago, TOXXIC said:

I have no idea why, but I like the symmetry of the 2 door XJ. Power to weight radiation would be pretty slick if it had the 4.0 motor. I love watching the Hadji videos of the boys in Saudi Arabia taking them up the dunes with 5.3 swaps, they sound awesome. 

The 2 door does have the 4.0, being a '97 I'm pretty sure it's an H.O.  It's a base model 2WD so minimal weight.  It is pretty damn quick.

31 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

The 2 door does have the 4.0, being a '97 I'm pretty sure it's an H.O.  It's a base model 2WD so minimal weight.  It is pretty damn quick.

In the 90s they made a police package XJ. I drove one around Seattle International Raceway during a high speed pursuit training session, was pretty fun. The County Deputies out here used to have a bunch of them with the H.O. motors.