CBR1100XX.org Forum

1968 Moto Guzzi V7 Restoration

RXX

1 hour ago, rockmeupto125 said:

That'll buff out. Are the case threads damaged? Tap and die is your friend.

One of my next purchases is a quality metric set. Or at the very least find the missing sizes from the set I inherited from dad.

In the meantime, I pulled a cylinder and there is considerable flaked chrome in the bore. Another known issue of these old bikes.

11 hours ago, RXX said:

One of my next purchases is a quality metric set. Or at the very least find the missing sizes from the set I inherited from dad.

In the meantime, I pulled a cylinder and there is considerable flaked chrome in the bore. Another known issue of these old bikes.

Millennium Technologies from the land of cheese is your friend on chrome issue.

13 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Are those jugs sleeved? (Old Hondas could be re-sleeved)

No. Chrome-plated. Poorly.

3 hours ago, tomek said:

Millennium Technologies from the land of cheese is your friend on chrome issue.

Yeah, that looks great, thanks!  Nikasil cylinder replacements seem to be the norm for this sort of thing, but it looks like the older bikes are SOL and newer cylinders that have to be machined to fit. 

Again, I would like to keep as much original as possible, and the original jugs would give me great personal satisfaction. And they look to be very reasonably priced.

20 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

While I've gleaned a lot of personal satisfaction from original jugs, there are many advantages to aftermarket.

You had to know that was coming, right?

I don’t think I have ever ridden anything with aftermarket parts. Sigh, guess that boat has sailed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RXX said:

I don’t think I have ever ridden anything with aftermarket parts. Sigh, guess that boat has sailed.

I'm living proof that you never know what the universe has coming your way.  Mongo just a pinball in the arcade of life.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 7:15 PM, RXX said:

Curious to see what that looks like.

4 hours ago, tomek said:

No aftermarket jugs for me. Allergic to silicone. Sad.

Not really "better" than OEM in most cases, but aftermarket can extend the service life beyond where the factory equipment begins to experience normal out-of-spec/tolerance variation - though in many cases, a performance upgrade is selected at the time of replacement.  Some models with factory parts that were oriented more towards economy can be transformed into full-on race machines, though... usually accompanied by increased maintenance and repair costs commensurate with the increased performance level.  

Performance costs money - how fast do you want to go?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

Performance costs money - how fast do you want to go?

“There is no replacement for displacement”

sez the guy desperately attempting to keep this thread work safe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...