CBR1100XX.org Forum

1968 Moto Guzzi V7 Restoration

RXX

This picture was from a Toys for Tots ride in Knoxville around 1995. That’s my son Jonathan.

In the fall of 1997 I was riding on the BRP when the wiring harness in the cowl caught fire. (A known issue now). I parked it in the barn, and life happened.

D3B331DE-1A5F-49D6-81E6-FB30D945BF74.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Once I built the new barn, I placed it on my lift in it’s own (yet to be finished) stall, promising it will be rewired, but with the deterioration from being in a decrepit storage facility, it was obvious it was going to need more than that.

F6ABCF30-0AAA-4D70-9595-85C9368632B6.jpeg

20 hours ago, RXX said:

I have become fully committed now. Hopefully this will be the end result:

7F489B5C-4216-4C0F-9F4D-006FAC1B0142.jpeg

Phillip, I can't explain it but that is just the coolest fukn bike. Not the best of anything but cool.

...early 80s I had an acquaintance that had a Motoguzzi. It was light seafoam metallic green with a sheepskin fur with raw edges thrown over saddle. It had Ero-bars and hard-bags. The bags were light tan and didn't match the green, but coordinated nicely with the sheepskin. The owners name was Bill. The bike was VERY Mad-Max-ish. I can't remember Bill's las name.

I only saw it a couple times at my friend Tony DeBels bar and one other time.

It was a cool bike regardless, but it really stood out in that parking lot mostly full of Hondas, a couple Yamahas, a Suzuki and a couple Harleys. The other bikes were mostly red or blue or black.

Cancer got Tony at way too early of an age. The last time I saw that Motoguzzi was at Tony's funeral. It was parked at the church in this 200 person town called Harrison. Harrison is at the west end of highway B. It's not real long, but it is a fantastic little ride through weekend cottages and little lakes... it was the H-D MDA benefit ride weekend. He led the first MDA ride before Harley took it over, I believe he was riding a CB650C which ended up with almost half-a-million miles on it. It was an interesting confluence of a place, people, bikes, and timing. The whole service, lines of Harleys kept streaming past in spurts.

Loud staccato mufflers paying unintentional tribute on a crisp sunny fall morning.  Epitaph  

I'd recently bought my titanium. I didn't ride my bike that day and mildly regret it.  I may have had other shit going on that day and needed my truck. Freedom's just another word for nuthin' left to lose.

Edited by XXitanium

Makes me wanna drag my Convert out and fix it up.  It arrived dead, the seller didn't send the title with it but it would be coming soon.  I jumped in and got it running, then set off fixing various stuff.  After lots of questionable delays I started to think that the title would never show up so I stopped working on it.  By the time the title arrived I had lost enthusiasm and it hasn't come back.  I took a very short ride around the block, the 'automatic' transmission is interesting to ride.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

..Porche?

MotoGuzzi V-1000 Convert.  The Convert is for the torque converter.  It's kinda an automatic.  It has a low and high, basically street gear and highway gear, but most people just run them in high all the time.  It's kinda like riding a huge scooter.

Mine's a little less shiny lot more crusty.

One of the unique features is the automatic parking brake.  Since there's no mechanical connection between the engine and tire to keep it from trying to roll, when you put the kickstand down it pulls a cable attached to a second caliper on the rear rotor

It was in the corner of the yard blocked in by the Excursion, which was slightly disassembled for repairs, so I hadn't built up the motivation to drag it out.  Today I dropped the Ex off at the Ford dealer so a real mechanic could fix it for me, luckily I got the only female technician there so it should get done right.

Just a module I replaced that had to be programmed with the right data for the vehicle.

I put a battery and gas in it, made a couple tweaks, then took it for a couple laps up & down the driveway.  I don't know if I want to fix it to a good riding condition or just a selling condition, but it's an interesting ride for sure.  I'm leaning towards at least transferring and registering it so I can ride it, it'll cost a few bucks, but it'll also make it easier to sell so it kinda makes sense.  To be truly road worthy it needs a fair bit of stuff, and some more stuff if I want to make it 'bulletproof' for longevity, but other than needing a headlight it's drivable enough that I should be able to figure out if I want to keep it.

CAFC42B6-3C4B-45F0-800B-A08FB8F4C354_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d0de4ea6b045db1cd318c0169c3d71da.jpeg

F50A8962-4E38-4D1F-9EEB-861AC44CBA4D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4d2b0d31aceac3c50dcab4539738c3d9.jpeg

83F38B45-A234-483C-9FC3-86F4A7AC1853_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f9c2eb29ec6303214e7173b8a45c02c3.jpeg

6 hours ago, XXitanium said:

@RXX - had you any idea where this thread would lead?

Yeah, I was kind of hoping engagement from the community would help keep me motivated. And there are always those tips, tricks, and trivia that make life interesting. 

My goal is to re-use as many of the original parts as possible, but there are a few things I am going to need to get it to near original and the board will expand my reach hopefully.

Oscar - the holy grail of guzzology:

Gregory Bender’s

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi.html

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RXX said:

Yeah, I was kind of hoping engagement from the community would help keep me motivated. And there are always those tips, tricks, and trivia that make life interesting. 

My goal is to re-use as many of the original parts as possible, but there are a few things I am going to need to get it to near original and the board will expand my reach hopefully.

Oscar - the holy grail of guzzology:

Gregory Bender’s

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi.html

I hope I didn't steal your Guzzi thread with my project.  Motivator; mine's running so get off your ass! 🙂

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Those are the ape hangers of mirrors.  I've never seen them that tall.

CAFC42B6-3C4B-45F0-800B-A08FB8F4C354_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d0de4ea6b045db1cd318c0169c3d71da.jpeg

They are super goofy, absolutely retarded, and for some reason they don't bother me as much as they should.

9 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I find myself asking you this way too often, how much are you thinking if you decide to sell? 

I haven't a clue and plan to research their value.  Do know that if you got it right now there'd be a fair bit of tinkering to do, other than cosmetics.

I bought it unseen, not quite as described, I might have overpaid.  At the time, and going off the description, my research said it was a pretty decent deal.  But it's been a few years and things have changed.  Honestly, I couldn't say if it's worth $1k or $10k, but guessing much much closer to 1.

3 hours ago, RXX said:

Thanks.  It's funny, and not too surprising, to see this bike lumped together with "this old tractor".  Just yesterday I was looking at the massive starter and thinking, damn, it's like a tractor manufacturer made a motorcycle engine.