CBR1100XX.org Forum

2020 Honda Ridgeline

2020 RTL

Won't be able to be picked up until my Santa Cruz comes in. 

If no one here wants to make a deal - I’ll likely be trading it in at the Hyundai dealer. Tough part - you’d have to compete with the tax I’d be saving by trading it in. 

It’s got all the bells and whistles - abut $2500 in extras 

Purchased in Aug of 2020 and currently has 68 miles on it. 

Will most likely have a few thousand by the time the SC arrives. 

Interested parties - line up. 

I like the color.

You might want to post the window decal showing all it comes with.  Honda’s website isn’t too useful in this regard...”bells and whistles” can mean a lot of stuff.

Edited by Zero Knievel
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, DBLXX said:

Tough part - you’d have to compete with the tax I’d be saving by trading it in. 

Do you get taxed as income when you sell a car or what?

Nope - no tax. And if I trade it in for a new one I save 8.25% of the price they give me. So if they offer $30K I save about $2500 in sales tax. 

I have the window sticker laminated at home. When o get home from the lake house I’ll take a picture of it. 

On 4/18/2021 at 8:31 AM, superhawk996 said:

Do you get taxed as income when you sell a car or what?

He is referencing a sales tax credit. Example. He pays $40K for a new car and trades in a $30K car he only pays taxes on the $10K difference.

5 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

He is referencing a sales tax credit. Example. He pays $40K for a new car and trades in a $30K car he only pays taxes on the $10K difference.

Thanks for the clearer explanation.  I've never heard of that before.

We get a tax credit up here too. My mother-in-law traded in her 2016 MDX this weekend. They gave her $22K, which is the equivalent of $24,200 if she sold it outright as our sales tax is 10%, or 22,000 x’s .10 = $2,200. She bought a 2022 MDX for $58,000 and only paid sales tax on $36,000, which is still a big chalupa to take up the ass from our state. She paid $3600 in sales tax, but better than paying $5800.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Thanks for the clearer explanation.  I've never heard of that before.

It varies by state.  Here you pay sales tax purely on the difference, some states you pay on the whole thing anyway.  So when the dealer offered $28k trade for the Wrangler, I'd have to get a little over $30k private party just to match it.

37 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I've never heard of it so I'm guessing CA doesn't give that tax break, so surprising.

Definitely not surprising. Another reason we all need to move into Carlos' Coyote loving community.

....or Montana and Alaska have NO sales tax.....nor does Oregon, but they are California Lite and have a huge property tax PLUS income tax. No income tax in WA yet.

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The only big relief I have here is Prop13 which 'grandfathered' property taxes, but they're trying to take that away.

No mean they never go up?  You are still paying the same amount that you did 20 years ago?

4 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

No mean they never go up?  You are still paying the same amount that you did 20 years ago?

Yup, and parent/child transfers stay at the old tax.

Sales tax varies greatly by city here.  Unfortunately it follows the registered address, not the dealer's location.  When I bought in Scottsdale, with the lowest sales tax rate in the state, I was surprised to see that I was charged for Peoria, one of the highest.  For the next buy I used the postal box address which is middle ground.  Hey, 1% of the $30k difference between trade and sale price is a VERY nice bottle of Scotch.

In seven states, there is no credit or sales tax reduction when you trade in a car. Those states are California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Montana and Virginia. ... In California you pay sales tax on the full price of the new vehicle. No allowance is made for the trade in value as in many other states.

4 hours ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Damn!  Down here it's still 8.2%

Count your blessings. Sleepy Jay wants to pass an income tax, and a mileage tax for driving on the freeway, and a....you get the point.

Buying across state lines can sometimes introduce issues, but not always.  I've heard from good sources (didn't totally verify) that a CA purchase by an Arizonan gets double taxed, and that it's not unusual to take possession at the state line.  Lot boy drives it out, hands it over to you.  Either goes back with a second car or takes a bus.  In some states they just hand over the MSO, no tax, you pay on arrival.  And yet others collect for each other.  You need to look first when doing interstate transactions.

NV for us is easy; no tax there, pay when you get here.

5 hours ago, sandman said:

Thanks. I'm not a regular on the forum, so I don't have friends here that have known locations to me. 

This didn't help me-

40 miles NW of NYC.