CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil leak (Rear balancer idle gear o-ring)

jaymeferreyra

You might be able to slide the shaft out just far enough to replace the o-ring.  Not sure, as it's been a long time since I messed with that, and I had the cases split.  Just make sure you mark the position/rotation of the shaft before you loosen the clamp arm.

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

If it's true that the engine has to come apart to replace the o-ring I would try:

https://www.permatex.com/products/adhesives-sealants/sealants/permatex-spray-sealant-leak-repair/?locale=en_us

38 minutes ago, jon haney said:

You might be able to slide the shaft out just far enough to replace the o-ring.  Not sure, as it's been a long time since I messed with that, and I had the cases split.  Just make sure you mark the position/rotation of the shaft before you loosen the clamp arm.

Thanks 

It seems that it is so rare for this to happen that I find almost nothing about it.

My bird have only 45.000 km... I'm disappointed 

I bought my 2000 in 2010. I've done tires and a starter. I don't consider myself overly mechanical, but I did the stator myself.

There are a couple known things that go wrong. The Cam Chain Tensioner is another.

This is the first time I remember hearing of that seal.

superhawk996 keeps his bikes in his living room and is a mechanic. I'd at least try his suggestion as a short run solution.

How big is the puddle?

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I bought my 2000 in 2010. I've done tires and a starter. I don't consider myself overly mechanical, but I did the stator myself.

There are a couple known things that go wrong. The Cam Chain Tensioner is another.

This is the first time I remember hearing of that seal.

superhawk996 keeps his bikes in his living room and is a mechanic. I'd at least try his suggestion as a short run solution.

How big is the puddle?

There is still no puddle (until now), sometimes there is a small drop on the underside of the engine and it is dirty with oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZYTiXO03e4

received_303420107880705.jpeg

Edited by jaymeferreyra

Another option, if there's a spot to do it, is to stick a rag or napkin in there to absorb it to keep it from making a mess.  And it looks like you tried to post a video, but it's just a white screen with audio.

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Another option, if there's a spot to do it, is to stick a rag or napkin in there to absorb it to keep it from making a mess.  And it looks like you tried to post a video, but it's just a white screen with audio.

I had already thought of putting something absorbent, but resistant to heat, but I don't know any material with these characteristics ...

I already edited my previous post and put a YouTube link

5 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think I should use something resistant to heat, I'm afraid something might go wrong.

The engine block, away from the exhaust, isn't going to get hot enough to matter.  Basically whatever the coolant temp is is about as hot as the back of the block will get.  I've run rags & paper towels in the valley of my Powerstroke for years.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The engine block, away from the exhaust, isn't going to get hot enough to matter.  Basically whatever the coolant temp is is about as hot as the back of the block will get.  I've run rags & paper towels in the valley of my Powerstroke for years.

Thank you in advance for your help.

So there is no danger that an absorbent cloth will burn due to the heat?

Edited by jaymeferreyra

11 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

And it looks like you tried to post a video, but it's just a white screen with audio.

It works for me.  I agree about the heat not being too high at the rear of the block.  I rapped a air shifter bottle in foam and it laid on on rear of the block without issue.

5 hours ago, jaymeferreyra said:

Thank you in advance for your help.

So there is no danger that an absorbent cloth will burn due to the heat?

I wouldn't be worried about it, but I won't say that there's no danger.  The flash point of oil and cotton are both way too high to ever reach (around 400F), but oily cotton could ignite as low as 250F.  Still higher than I'd expect to ever see in that area.