CBR1100XX.org Forum

UPS power supply...reliable brands?

Zero Knievel

Not looking to spend a lot as my house is on a backup generator that kicks in after 15 seconds of lost power, but the ones with high ratings on Amazon have a lot of negative reviews for being junk.  Who makes quality uninterrupted power supply units?

YMMV, because you didn’t say how many watts you need. 
I’ve got dozens of APC back UPS pro 1300. Most have been in service for 10+ years without issue. I’ve had to change batteries in maybe 4 units, and it’s super simple to do. I even have a couple at home, one for the PVR & modem, the other for my cpap.  
I’d like to say the UPS let’s me sleep through brief power failures (because I have the alarm muted) but the wife insists on waking me up by telling me that the power went out. 😒
Edit: I’m sure there’s a newer model by now. 

Edited by JoWhee

+1 on  the  APC back UPS pro 1300 series

I have one of the newer models as well   the 1375   and other older models all over the house and barn

Been using this brand forever,  after long enough time in service, I swapped out a new battery etc.

But, recently, when a battery ( well over 10 years old) needed replacing, it wasn't that much more for the 1375  

Depending on the model, the battery can be a bit pricey, and if the unit is old enough, it is worth getting a new one with better features.

Best price I found locally was at Sams Club for $150 

image.png.324517f42f771d46c96f94d1f7c917b3.png

Are all APC units good?  That’s the one getting some negative reviews on Amazon.  Of course, I wonder if they are being made more and more in China and that’s why people have received bad ones.

This is the one I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDC236Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_GMSCAZATPGF4W52K9DXA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Zero Knievel

We are plagued with power outages, especially with our typically turbulent Spring weather. I've used a host of UPS (APC, Blackout Busters, etc. - all battery types) in the 500-750W range over the years, replacing the batteries about every 3-4 years. All are still in service, but no longer on what we consider critical applications. About five years ago I moved up to a pair of 900W units (CyberPower CP1500 AVRLCD) for my computer systems, and my security/NVR system on one, and my entertainment systems (TV, DVR, Roku, etc.) on the other. Those UPS units and their batteries are still running strong; I'm more than satisfied. 

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PRD3GAHPE4M1&dchild=1&keywords=cyberpower+1500va&qid=1618162742&s=electronics&sprefix=cyber%2Celectronics%2C228&sr=1-3