CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch Question?

Obby

I have a '97 bird with 21,000 mi. (stock clutch). Once the bird warms up, I hear a clutch chatter/rattle. If I hold the clutch lever in, the sound goes away. Any ideas what's going on :?:

I think you might be talking about the CCT. I changed mine this year with X-11. No more sounds like marbles in the side case.

Ken

yup, cam chain.

i just replaced my CCT to the X11 one a few days ago, and had to run down to the garage just now to try this out (letting go of the clutch). i recall having a loud cam chain grinding noise when i let go of the clutch in neutral last week, but now that noise is much quieter with the new CCT in. i can still hear a small sound of the cam chain moving, but not nearly as loud.

obby, do you hear a grind around 4000 rpm?

Obby,

I know what you are talking about. There is a rattle in the clutch basket that goes away when you pull in the clutch. I've replaced my CCT and it didn't fix that. I brought it to a few Honda places and they've said it was just a normal rattle. It's not very loud (or at least mine isn't). If you put synthetic oil in, it gets WAY worse, so stick with dino...

Of course, this depends on whether it's the same rattle of course...

There is a rattle in the clutch basket that goes away when you pull in the clutch. I've replaced my CCT and it didn't fix that. I brought it to a few Honda places and they've said it was just a normal rattle. It's not very loud (or at least mine isn't). If you put synthetic oil in, it gets WAY worse, so stick with dino...

Wow, I dont have this problem and I am running synthetic oil. How loud is this? What year is you bike?

Ken

obby, do you hear a grind around 4000 rpm?

I do hear a different sound at 4000 rpm, too hard to explain. It starts at about 3,800 rpm and ends at 4,500 rpm (weird sound). It doesn't seem to affect anything noticeable though.

I think you might be talking about the CCT. I changed mine this year with X-11. No more sounds like marbles in the side case.

I know that sound (marbles in the crankcase). My Turbo has that one for sure, but that's not happening with the bird.

It is definately comming from inside the clutch cover when at idle in neutral only. (only when engine is warmed up, quiet when cold).

:???:

Ps. I run Spectro Golden 4 (10-40w), and the rattle noise is subtle but annoying.

I have the same sound until the bird warms up, pull the clutch in and it stops. I, on the other hand, switched to synthetic and it got a lot quieter. Try changing the oil, maybe it will help. This was the first time I changed the oil in the bird so I have no other reference.

It's just a bit of gear clatter in the transmission.

Nothing to worry about, and the only reason it stops with the clutch in is that the trans quits turning.

mine makes some noise with the clutch out in neutral,doesn't sound like marbles sounds like lower rubbing noise, doesn't matter if its hot or cold. :cry:

Obby, the sounds at 3,800 - 4,500 aren't problematic, just annoying, and are CCT-related. The CCT fix people are talking about simply quiets it down by reducing free play in the cam chain a little bit.

Mines a 97 and it's got 72.5K km's. I had two sets of sounds. One that stops when I pull in the clutch, the other that would get louder when I let off the gas and was present around 4-5k rpm. The second sounds like droping a link chain on the ground...the grrrrrr sound. The first is marble type sound. The second reduced when I changed the CCT. The first is still present.

Dunno if that helps a little. I can do a sound capture of me making the noise verbally if you want. Apparently people say I'm pretty good at it :]

My '97 just turned 10k miles and it makes that rattling marbles sound in any gear up until about 4,500-5,000 RPM. Then it gets past the rattle sound and just sounds mean as hell all of the way to 10,000RPM. Is that normal and does anyone know I am talking about? Noises are so hard to describe.

Rich

When will I know when it needs to be replaced before it's too late? It idles fine and I do not notice any rattling sounds then. I would have to rev the piss out of it to hear it.