CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake Light Actuation

tecman

I have an '02 Bird, and I noticed, quite by accident, that my brake light does not come on when I squeeze the handlebar brake.  It does come on with the foot pedal.  

Any ideas?  Fuse?  Harness going bad?  Beuhler??

Thanks.

Check for the audible click as mentioned.  If it's not, sometimes just flipping the lever quickly a few times will free them up.  Next is to remove the switch and fiddle with it directly.  I've encountered a few sticky ones and I don't recall ever needing to replace one.

If it's clicking, next step is to test continuity and the connection.  I don't have my manual with me and I don't know where the connector is so I can't help there.

Thanks for the advice.  I will have time to work on it later today and will let you know if anything worked.

As always, I am grateful for the .org and the members willing to help.  Still the best site on the net!

I probably have the correct switch (used), but don't have a Bird anymore to verify the correct shape and mounting.  If that is what you end up needing, I'll check a parts fiche online, and let you know.

21 hours ago, tecman said:

It is a bad light switch.  Let me know what ya' got.  They seem to be fairly universal.

Thanks.

I'll look when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the offer but I found one at the Berkeley bike shop.  Less than $20.  About to replace it now.

I appreciate the help, it is actually a pretty easy procedure, even for a novice mechanic like me.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, tecman said:

Thanks for the offer but I found one at the Berkeley bike shop.  Less than $20.  About to replace it now.

I appreciate the help, it is actually a pretty easy procedure, even for a novice mechanic like me.

I had one, and would have sent it to you for free, but your way is faster.  Glad it was easy fix for you.

I am grateful for the offer, but my Bird is my daily ride and I needed it fixed ASAP.  I am just happy I could get it done in a day.

Your offer is yet another reason this board is the best!

Thanks again.

• Like 1