CBR1100XX.org Forum

Givi luggage cable fix?

sandman

I run a Givi E55 top case on my bird. The lid's rubber straps stretch allowing the lid to flop open. I fabricated a pair if 3/16" cable straps with crimped brass electrical eyelets. But they're not working in wind or long term- crimped eyelets pull off cable. How would you do this better, and what would you use?

IMG_4193.JPG

There's probably an end made specifically for cable, it'll be thicker and harder material allowing for a stronger crimp that holds.  If not, add a cable ferrule onto the end of the cable so it can't pull through the terminal.

That's a generous and kind offer, sir. Before I take you up on it, could you tell me what swaging tool you have that fits SC6-6 ring terminal size? Eye opening dia. 5mm. Found the terminals, and I'm considering owning the tool. Givi way under engineered their lid retention system in my opinion. 

Edited by sandman

It's just a generic cable swaging tool from Amazon.  I never use the terminal type ends, I loop the cable and use a standard swage.  I make stuff for around the shop and the house.  Like cables to keep our shed from blowing over in high winds.  Loops on both ends for screws.