CBR1100XX.org Forum

Looking to purchase a CLEAN 2001-2002 XX

Anytime you come across a vehicle , especially one that's almost 20 years old, in mint condition with only 5111 miles (269 miles per year average), chances are you'll pay top dollar for it ( especially in this current economy). I expect that, and I am just fine with it. At my age of 66 , chances are pretty high this will be the last XX I ever own. I'm sure I could have found a nice , clean '99-2003 model with 20,000 + miles on it for $4500-$5000, but I'd have to put many hours of labor into it along with many hundreds of dollars as well to get it to where I want it. I have too many ongoing projects that demand my time currently. I won't be seen riding any bike that isn't one I can be 100% proud of to be seen on. That's just me.

What stuff would you expect to have to do to one with 20+K?  To be clear, I'm not questioning your decision or judging one bit, just curious.  I'm glad you found your gem and that you had the resources to get it painlessly.

13 hours ago, Steve Smith said:

Anytime you come across a vehicle , especially one that's almost 20 years old, in mint condition with only 5111 miles (269 miles per year average), chances are you'll pay top dollar for it

While this is mostly true, deals are out there. Just paid $3700 for a 100% stock 2000 VFR800 with 2800 miles. The owner wanted $5500. Trying to convince him that the bike is gonna need $1000 or more of work to get it road worthy wasnt easy. In most instances, a 20 year old bike with 2000 miles is gonna need more work than a 20 year old bike with 20000 miles. In my case, the whole bike needed to be gone through. Original everything, right down to the tires. 

Glad you found your XX. Hopefully the shop goes through the ENTIRE bike. For $7500, you better not find a missing push pin. Good luck

Just this morning was emailed from the owner telling me the Honda dealership replaced the fuel pump , looked over the whole bike and it could be picked up. I'm a perfectionist and have had two very successful show bikes, one of which was my former 2003 XX. I wouldn't even want a bike with any rust, oxidation, scratches or any imperfections. I am a retired auto body shop owner and have the ability to fix all of these thigs but I am booked up with my own projects currently and have no time to "fine tune" a cheaper bike with any imperfections. 

Since this rare find is sought after by others ( as I was informed by the owner, weather true or not) I'm not  interested in calling his bluff as this silver 2002 is just the bike I am looking for. If I told him I'd give him no more than say, $6000, I feel there is a very good chance someone else would get it. I sold my 2020 Kawasaki ZH2 and have enough cash to buy two of these at the high price. Once my 2001 is back together I'll sell it and recoup most of my money anyway.

Steve

16 minutes ago, DBLXX said:

Nice way to fuck up an awesome motorcycle. 

OP.. Good luck with the purchase. I know what I had to go through to get a 20 year old, low mileage bike back to where it should be. Hopefully you don't have to do a fucking thing.

Edited by SR71BLACKBIRDXX

Some don't like chrome, some don't like the color purple. I've already heard all the lame gay jokes about my color choice. If I decide to keep my red 2001 model, it'll be a nice GM blue metallic  called "Wave Blue Metallic" with silver accents and silver wheels.

3 hours ago, DBLXX said:

You polished my pipe.....back in the day.

I remember I had an extra stock swing arm I smoothed, polished and sold to a member. Unless your reply was a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" play on words. : )

21 minutes ago, DBLXX said:

Lol, no. Didn’t you polish 2 exhaust cans for my SV1000S?

Oh yeah! I remember I had to sand it totally smooth with very fine paper and polish the hell out of it. They did turn out pretty damn nice I remember. Wow, how long ago was that? Had to have been at least 10 years ago, right?

I remember you took care of me money wise on that! I also remember based on the time involved I swore to myself NEVER to do that type of work again!

Yep, you bitched about how much more work it was than you thought. But...the pipes had a very deep type of rough surface that you weren’t expecting. But you fucking killed it. You asked for a couple hundo and I knew you did much much more work but felt bad asking the amount the job deserved. 

I would have spent a grand on new pipes but was destined to keep it stock but give it some polish. And you were the polish king. 

You tried to refuse the cash - I wouldn’t have it. You made the bike what I wanted which was priceless in my eyes. 

• Upvote 1