CBR1100XX.org Forum

What is this?

OMG

My son is wondering, two pressure gauges 60psi, two valves into the top two on the bottom.

Two small valves on the top with glass chambers just below them. Alternate sections appear to be piped separately.

Pretty obvious, it's a dude that desperately needs a camera upgrade.

My first thought was a press for squeezing the liquid out of industrial waste water containing fine solids, at least two of my customers use them, but the ones I've seen don't have all those fittings/outlets/gauges.  And they use a hydraulic cylinder, but I could imagine an old school version using a screw.

I have seen something that resembles that in a small scale water filtration plant to filter out heavy metals before the process water is allowed to enter the storm drains. PH levels also monitored and corrected before the waste water enters the press. The pressure gauges to see the filter saturation level.

Te screw clamp for quick easy access to scrape the filter plates. Im just guessing.

Edited by CALCXX

On 12/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, The Krypt Keeper said:

So, 

what is it really? 

Click on Bill's link.

This is a stainless steel brewery heat exchanger for cooling wort from 200F to 70F using city water at around 50F. This heat exchanger is designed so that the discharged water is hot enough to put into your HLT for your next brew. They are designed to cool a batch in approximately 30 minutes.

image.png.5d23080e8a4e29eff63aafe3b5c68e74.png

• Upvote 1

I don't know exactly how the ones I've seen work, but this is what I understand from the bits I've seen from being around the shop:  There are several filter membranes used in a water filtering station.  When they get full of stuff they're put in the press to squeeze out the remaining water.  The press is opened and there are 'cakes' of fine solids that are dumped into a wheel barrow then put out in the sun to dry.  The solids can then be put in the trash legally.

The filtering station holds and treats the waste water before dumping it into the sewer.  Someone has to test it before releasing it.  A state or city official comes randomly to test the water in the holding tank to assure that it meets standards before being dumped.

The presses I've seen don't have fittings, the water drips out into a tray underneath them.  The one you posted a photo of could be combination filter holder and press.  Or maybe it's just a holder that allows one to choose how many/what type of filters to put in it.  It could be a heat exchanger and not a filter, but the plates look to be plastic which would be a sucky heat exchanger.  My guess is that those are separator plates for filters.

• Upvote 2