CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB chain and sprocket set

Hello everyone! Looking to get a replacement chain and sprocket set for my 02. Figured I’d start here! Any recommendations on gearing or product choice would also be welcome!

7FD5A50C-E1F5-45B8-8533-6D1A1D059BCB.jpeg

• Upvote 1

when the exchange rate was better between U.S and AUS i used to get my kits from sprocket centre.D.I.D zvmx chain and pretty sure i would get the JT sprockets .i always run the standard gearing although the gearing on the U.S bikes are i believe different to ours. 

A lot of us are partial to 18T front sprocket. I have always gotten DID 530VX3. And you can never, ever go wrong splurging for a pro-oiler. Pays for itself in 30,000 miles. 

Welcome aboard. Your dad is a standup guy.

28 minutes ago, poida said:

when the exchange rate was better between U.S and AUS i used to get my kits from sprocket centre.D.I.D zvmx chain and pretty sure i would get the JT sprockets .i always run the standard gearing although the gearing on the U.S bikes are i believe different to ours. 

Thanks for the info! I wonder why there would be a difference between gearing?

22 minutes ago, RXX said:

A lot of us are partial to 18T front sprocket. I have always gotten DID 530VX3. And you can never, ever go wrong splurging for a pro-oiler. Pays for itself in 30,000 miles. 

Welcome aboard. Your dad is a standup guy.

Thanks for the welcome! Proud to be following in his foot steps! Wouldn’t mind a oiler, good idea!

37 minutes ago, Zz want’s an XX said:

Thanks for the info! I wonder why there would be a difference between gearing?

I believe the difference is that the other countries got a one tooth smaller rear, 44 instead of 45 I think.  I don't know why, but it supposedly makes the speedo closer to accurate and maybe that's the reason.

Common here is to use the stock US rear with a 16 front for more acceleration, 17 to stay stock, or 18 for better highway MPG and lower RPM.  The stock one has a vibration damper in it and many say it makes a noticeable difference.  Someone recently posted a link to a company that offers all three with the damper.  I don't think anyone can tell you what size sprockets are best since the advantages/disadvantages come down to your use and your liking.  If you do mostly street and want more git up & go a smaller front might suit you.  If you want lower RPM cruising a bigger one might suit you.  Before putting too much thought into it you should confirm what is currently on the bike, it could already be re-geared without you knowing it.  If you have no desire to have a different experience, get a new set of the existing.  The only thing I'll suggest is to stick to a damped front sprockets instead of the 'normal' type.

Okay.

Bottom line, its your choice as to what works for you.

17/45 is stock gearing.  I've heard the Aussies mention that they had an option of 44 or 45 from the dealer, maybe it was a "dealer installed" option.  Why a smaller rear sprocket?  Have you ever been to Australia?  It makes eastern Washington look overpopulated. Making gas last 20 more miles is really a good thing.

Anyway, as has been said, lots of folks go up or down a tooth on the front rather than change the rear.  Remember, one tooth on the front equals three on the rear sprocket. My advice is to go with stock and the dampened (factory) front sprocket.  The OEM rear sprockets wear like the good steel that they are. You may not need them.

I've run all three front sprockets at the dragstrip, 16, 17, and 18. The 16 was the slowest as I had to back off a little at the start for to keep the front end down. 17 ran out of revs, 18 suffered the extra shift, so they came out the same. I'm not fast, between 10.5 and 11.0 if I had a good day

I've run 18 tooth in the more recent years.  That includes two up with luggage on tight switchbacks, the bike will pull the extra gear.  That's probably 300 pounds more than you if your picture is recent.  Right now, I have an 18 tooth front with a 44 rear.  Its smooth, quiet, clutches off fine, but backroad passing lunges need three clicks down, not two, and it doesn't have that instant pull at highway speeds that is so nice.

Lastly, an 18/45 combination puts your speedo right on the money.  But your odometer will be off and you'll have to adjust that before you can figure your actual gas mileage. Or just wonder why you suddenly went from 45 to 38mpg.

I've always used DID Xring chain on the XX when I could afford it. There are stronger versions, the 9800 lb rating of the stock chain is good enough unless you have engine mods, track every weekend, or ride like a dickhead.  Stronger chains are heavier and add weight where you don't need it.  Search the online motorcycle sites and ebay/amazon for deals. Don't search for an XX, just search for DID chain. Stock sprocket chain length is 115 links.  Its not uncommon to find something that's longer for less money.  Just cut off the extra and throw it in a box because someday, if you're like me, you will get a brand new chain for free...you'll just have to get 11 new master links.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Stock sprocket chain length is 115 links.

Is it required, or desirable, to change the chain size for going up/down one tooth at either end?

Personally I think I'd like an 18.  I haven't tried it, but I like to keep the revs down and an 18, maybe even 18/44 like you have, would reduce upshifting around town.

Somewhere I found a chart that showed ideal and bad combinations back when I was looking to re-gear one of my 999s.  There's stuff that happens with combining tooth counts, something about how often the same tooth hits the same link or something like that.  It supposedly effects wear and noise.  On one of them I went from the stock 530 to a 525, the weight difference was pretty big.

22 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Is it required, or desirable, to change the chain size for going up/down one tooth at either end?

Somewhere I found a chart that showed ideal and bad combinations back when I was looking to re-gear one of my 999s.  There's stuff that happens with combining tooth counts, something about how often the same tooth hits the same link or something like that.  It supposedly effects wear and noise. 

I never had to change the chain going to 18 or 16.

Regularity/irregularity with different combination is a concept I don't recall ever considering.  Interesting point.  I have a hard time imagining it would make a difference in the real world, but if you're racing for a world championship, or building a chain drive spaceship, might be something worth considering.

31 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

15 tooth for wheelies...

But my favorite was one down, by far, for everyday riding and trips.  The motor is smooth so there's no reason to fear a little more RPM. 

Never tried a 15 as I'm a solid 16 lover.  Love the increase acceleration out of corners.  You guy's who run a 18 should just buy a Goldwing. ( Calcxx)

• Downvote 1

Jeff and I have not agreed on this gearing choice for 15+ years. I have had an 18T since about 2004. 

I bought a 16t and didn't like it so I gave it to Jeff some 15 years ago. He said it reminded him of his 954rr. 

I will admit that I lost a small amount of acceleration. What did I gain? A bike that loafs at 90mph. 

A speedometer that is on the money. An engine that's not sceaming it's lungs out at 100 or maybe it's just 71mph

with the new 16t speedo error? Long winded 2nd gear that goes all the way to a true 105mph. About 20 more miles per tank of gas. 

It will still do clutchless wheelies in 1st gear. Chains should last longer bending less thru the radius.

18t is the way to go. Jeff, you should buy a 15T.  Take off in third from a stop sign and do 4th gear clutch wheelies at 100 indicated

or should I say 47 mph? :D:D:D:huh:

Edited by CALCXX

1 hour ago, CALCXX said:

Jeff and I have not agreed on this gearing choice for 15+ years. I have had an 18T since about 2004. 

I bought a 16t and didn't like it so I gave it to Jeff some 15 years ago. He said it reminded him of his 954rr. 

I will admit that I lost a small amount of acceleration. What did I gain? A bike that loafs at 90mph. 

A speedometer that is on the money. An engine that's not sceaming it's lungs out at 100 or maybe it's just 71mph

with the new 16t speedo error? Long winded 2nd gear that goes all the way to a true 105mph. About 20 more miles per tank of gas. 

It will still do clutchless wheelies in 1st gear. Chains should last longer bending less thru the radius.

18t is the way to go. Jeff, you should buy a 15T.  Take off in third from a stop sign and do 4th gear clutch wheelies at 100 indicated

or should I say 47 mph? :D:D:D:huh:

Blah blah blah.

Homo.

I can give my opinion, again:

BB1 had an 18T front for prolly 45,000 of it's last miles before I parked it. 

BB2 had a 17T on it when I got it a couple years back. Man, every time I got on a highway I just hated how high it revved. Before my last trip I scavenged the sprocket from BB1 and all was well with the world. 

Now I am not the type of guy who stsys in tune with my bike, but I didn't notice any difference between the two vis a vis the damper thingy.

I had to get used to starting off in 1st, especially going uphill.

Jeez, even a chain and sprocket thread starts a war.

I've run 16/45 on the street bike forever.  Seriously, changed it over at the first oil change, along with a full D&D system.  Steel ONLY, no issues (although the adjusters do end up a pretty good ways in the red even when the stock chain is still good so you can forget using that as your "replacement guideline.")

Drag bike ran 12/49 for a weekend, was in 6th in the 1/8th!  Wheelie bars because you could not keep it down.

7 hours ago, Furbird said:

Jeez, even a chain and sprocket thread starts a war.

I've run 16/45 on the street bike forever.  Seriously, changed it over at the first oil change, along with a full D&D system.  Steel ONLY, no issues (although the adjusters do end up a pretty good ways in the red even when the stock chain is still good so you can forget using that as your "replacement guideline.")

Drag bike ran 12/49 for a weekend, was in 6th in the 1/8th!  Wheelie bars because you could not keep it down.

I don't see it as a war, just everyone throwing in their two cents.  For me, 16/46.

• Upvote 1