CBR1100XX.org Forum

7.3 Ford School Me Up

rockmeupto125

I see semi trucks with snap up cover for their rads.  I used to watch Ice Road Truckers and they claimed the actual temps would go below -40F without wind chill.  At times they had to put alcohol in the air lines to keep them from freezing and they never shut the truck off. 

On my 7.3 IDI van I used a towel, much more convenient than a piece of cardboard.  With the engine running the fan will suck the towel onto the grill, then find a crack along the top somewhere to tuck it into so it stays when you shut the engine off.

I assumed it was a problem with my thermostat not closing, but maybe not.  Getting to it was a bitch so I put one in the hose right at the top of the thermostat housing as a test, nothing changed.  While it seems retarded that there's enough bypass flow to keep the engine from warming up in So. Cal. cold, that seems to be what was happening.  The ambulance, same engine but 3 years newer, also takes forever, maybe a little less.  Not sure if the system changed or I'm just imagining that it's a little better.

A towel still flows air.  And with a direct drive fan it may not be so dicey but there's still a chance of it getting free and making a royal mess of something.

Trucks usually have snap on vinyl covers.  Otherwise use cardboard.  It doesn't flow air, is bendable enough to get it past supports and braces,  but stiff enough not to get wrapped around the wrong things if it gets loose.

The block doesn't just shield the radiator, it decreases air flow around the engine as well.

Coolant just going through the bypass stays in the radiator long enough to get down to ambient, so even a liter a minute cooled down to -10 puts a big hit on the temperature.  Engine exhausts heat from all surfaces as well, so fresh frigid air rushing past the engine with 100 degrees more delta than normal also contributes.

• Upvote 1