CBR1100XX.org Forum

True disc

tomek

So my Braking rotors after 10 plus years on the track (my both R1s use same rotors) got glazed/lightly groved to the point they lost some efficiency. New set is about 600$ bucks. I measured thinkness around bottons vs pad area, the actual wear was about 0.10-0.15 mm. The minimum marked on rotors says 4.5mm, mine were around 5.10 mm. 

I decided to sent them for resurfacing to True Disk.

They came back couple days ago. The surface looks brand new, he has not removed much, they are about 4.95 mm now, well above minimum.

110 bucks plus shipping both ways. 15 bucks x 2.

IMG_20201031_121428801.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Furbird said:

I'm guessing they turn them on a flat plate, similar to an automotive flywheel?

Not sure how it is done but he specifically says not to disassemble floating brake rotors. So I guess it is done different way vs. flywheel.

39 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

It sounds like the way to go.  Are there aftermarket rotors that you would consider better than stock at a reasonable price?

It will be interesting to see if you can feel the before and after difference in your rotors.  

I forgot to take "before" pics. Glazing does not help, it was removed so they should feel brand new. I'm pretty sure I could resurface them with sanding discs, etc. but it is not worth my elbow grease. I don't have time for nonsense like that.

Brembo, ebc, braking and galfer make quality and reasonably priced products better than OEM. I may have missed one or two brands but that is about it. I would not touch anything else. I would not touch OEM as replacement although stockers on my 99 xx were excellent. Vfr1200f is different story. I have one OEM disc that turned into a cone. Lol. Victim of covid. There was no traffic and cops during first couple of months of pandemic so I was riding accordingly. Couple heaving brakings from deep into triple digits and one disc warped into cone shape. I replaced it with EBC. 

Edited by tomek

• 2 weeks later...