CBR1100XX.org Forum

There are woodworkers and then there is this.

OMG

I've always seen things like that the same way that I hear Bohemian Rhapsody.  It's the artist showing off and the end result is just busy and annoying, not "art" or beautiful in any way.  "Look what I can do" and not created to be viewed/heard and enjoyed.  It's like tech people who throw every single option possible into a user interface instead of looking from the user's perspective to show what they really need.

Next up on UNPOPULAR OPINIONS...

Well I think that you have to respect the talent regardless of the personal appeal. I expect this was built during the Russian Empire and was more likely the vision of an architect trying to please his clients and carpenters trying to fulfill his vision. In both cases, the motivation of being sent to a labor camp or to one's death for failure or disappointment was probably a great motivator for doing a good job. 

What it reminds me of was the craftmanship that went in to houses built in the 1800-1900s though no where near that extent. My house built in the late 1800s has designs in all the woodwork inside and out and it is not a fancy house.  Houses built after the 50s are just boring with no imagination generally speaking.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

What it reminds me of was the craftmanship that went in to houses built in the 1800-1900s

I have more appreciation for the functional craftsmanship that went into some of those than the super artsy one above, tho it is pretty cool.

I don't know much about woodworking or framing, but I've seen stuff constructed with no adhesives or fasteners where everything was cut/shaped with hand tools to interlock perfectly and I think that is really fuckin cool.

Wood is the bastard material for building stuff, metal is way better.