CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brilliant strategy to seat a bead without a real compressor

SwampNut

I'm looking to do more adventure rides, mostly solo, so I'm looking at "what if" stuff.  I have a mini compressor on the bike, and that high end tubeless tire repair kit that comes in the aluminum tube.  But seating a bead...I carry a ratchet strap, but that's a bit of a pain.  Well there's a guy who makes and sells a tire to tire connector.  So you overinflate the good tire with your compressor, and then use the tire to tire hose to seat the other.  Fuck yeah.  I have a bunch of tire chucks, hose, and the crimp clamps/tool.

I don't have 23 minutes to watch it. Sorry. For your garage you need this, only 59 bucks. It works also as 5 gallon portable air tank. That big nozzle is removable.

BTW, tire to tire connection in some cases will not work. The flow of the air would be rather slow.

https://www.ebay.com/i/224033109187?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=224033109187&targetid=935065066747&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=9021587&poi=&campaignid=10877432047&mkgroupid=112821775411&rlsatarget=pla-935065066747&abcId=9300402&merchantid=118847705&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIptChxtul7AIVEPDACh2kmwRSEAQYAiABEgJ7NfD_BwE

For emergency roadside repair carb cleaner plus some sort of igniter trick works extremely well. Just don't be afraid of big BOOM.

There are many devices out there that do the same thing.

I have used 1/4 inch rope looped like the tool around the tire. A screwdriver is the used as a windliss.

I have used cooking spray for lubricant.  It won't hurt the rubber, a will dry to non slip in a day or so.

I was talking about the hose to use pressure from one tire to the other.  I assume everyone knows about the strap method.  This would be for emergency repairs away from a tow truck, you can't pay me to deal with tires otherwise.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I'm looking to do more adventure rides, mostly solo, so I'm looking at "what if" stuff.  I have a mini compressor on the bike, and that high end tubeless tire repair kit that comes in the aluminum tube.  But seating a bead...I carry a ratchet strap, but that's a bit of a pain.  Well there's a guy who makes and sells a tire to tire connector.  So you overinflate the good tire with your compressor, and then use the tire to tire hose to seat the other.  Fuck yeah.  I have a bunch of tire chucks, hose, and the crimp clamps/tool.

That guy made sure you understood the principle of how things work but could have been done in about 5 minutes.  Anything that you are going to use in a emergency setting, should be tried out first like the next time you change tires at home.  Man I struggled catching the bead on my front Wing tire last time and that was at home with a big compressor.

• Upvote 1

I use quickstart and a lighter, redneck way.  You being a connoisseur of the cigar should just carry an extra butane can, dual purpose.

I'd unbead them at home and see if they're troublesome.  You might find that they seat easily and don't need anything, or might find that the hose doesn't cut it.   I think that hose thing would only help a little bit, but it could be enough if the tire isn't troublesome.

I've been thinking of rigging an inflator that takes Soda Stream bottles.  Kinda big for bike use, but it would be great for the Jeep, side by side, motorhome, etc.  With the can upside down it should make for a very fast air-up, and possibly be enough for seating troublesome tires.

If everything else fails do this.

My last set of winter rubber absolutely, positively refused to seal. I'm taking professional (of course lol.) environment, good automotive tire machine, big ass v2 compressor, bead sealer. We tried every trick in the book but those Michelin x-ice refused to seal. Even though the tire was OEM size on OEM rim the gap between the rim and bead was too great. 

It was non issue once we tried carb cleaner trick. BOOM. Done. 

Both brake and carburetor cleaner can attack wheel finishes as well as the tire.  Brake cleaner can be very dangerous when burnt.  Both would be last resort emergency fluids, quick start/ether is a much better choice.

When a flammable is used you have to be quick with the air, as soon as the air cools from the fire the tire may unseat.  Whenever possible I start the air right before lighting.

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Both brake and carburetor cleaner can attack wheel finishes as well as the tire.  Brake cleaner can be very dangerous when burnt.  Both would be last resort emergency fluids, quick start/ether is a 

When a flammable is used you have to be quick with the air, as soon as the air cools fro

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Both brake and carburetor cleaner can attack wheel finishes as well as the tire.  Brake cleaner can be very dangerous when burnt.  Both would be last resort emergency fluids, quick start/ether is a much better choice.

The idea is to spray it inside of the tire, if you are spraying on the rim you are doing it wrong. Anyway, give it quick squirt and then figure out how to ignite it without having your fingers chopped off. I usually make long "joint" out of piece of paper and go from there. Or use can of wd40 as a blow torch.

There is no need to start air before ignition for motorcycle and car tires, remember that would increase amount of available oxygen for the "poof".

Bigger bang is not always better. 

Also I fail to see how carb cleaner etc. contacting inside of the tire for 2-3 seconds is gonna hurt anything.

18 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

That guy made sure you understood the principle of how things work but could have been done in about 5 minutes. 

A friend of his sent me the link and recommendation, with a warning.  "Look, he's a big fucking dork and talks too much, but he knows stuff, and he donates a shitload of time and cash to save starving kids, so he's ok."

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Brake cleaner can be very dangerous when burnt.

One short whiff of burning brake cleaner can lead to life long lung and organ damage.  It converts to phosgene, a deadly chemical agent used in WW1 and now outlawed.  Brake cleaner should not be used for welding cleaning since there's just too much risk of heating it up somehow and...boom you're fucked.

17 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I've been thinking of rigging an inflator that takes Soda Stream bottles. 

You gave me a "duh" moment.  If I can find a thread-on fitting that pierces these...

image.png

Also, I'm not sure I'm really truly worried about it.  I've never punctured a bike tire offroad, only on the road.  And I've never had one come off the bead.  I've plugged a few tires on the road and had mixed results, one took three plugs then held, another continued to leak.  So I'm carrying a mini compressor now.

I hope you do realize those soda stream canisters can potentially explode up in your ass in Arizona heat. They specifically mention that on their website.

I had co2 cartridges explode in exhaust side hard saddlebag.

54 minutes ago, SwampNut said:
14 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Brake cleaner can be very dangerous when burnt.

One short whiff of burning brake cleaner can lead to life long lung and organ damage.  It converts to phosgene, a deadly chemical agent used in WW1 and now outlawed.  Brake cleaner should not be used for welding cleaning since there's just too much risk of heating it up somehow and...boom you're fucked.

I always use acetone when working on tires.

According to DOT regs, they need to be able to withstand somewhere around 3000 PSI which is a bit over 150 degrees.  I don't ride in summer and even when it's hot out the rest of the year, the topcase isn't going to hit 150 inside.  I had CO2 in the tail of the XX at all times, and did ride in summer then.