CBR1100XX.org Forum

Retaining wall. Anyone do this?

Zero Knievel

Front yard has a more pronounced slope due to gradual erosion.  I’ve had the thought to build a retaining wall to more “level” the front yard.  How expensive a project should I expect this to be?  Most people just advertise for free fill dirt to do these projects, so I’m wondering how involved it would be to DIY?  If it’d be better to hire someone, what kind of cost can I expect?  I’d be looking to make it 5 to 6 foot so the back fill levels the yard but still allows enough slope for natural runoff and drainage.

My 2 cents is that any retaining wall  that you want to last and actually "retain" without falling over in a couple years is not a DIY project. Especially one that's 5-6 feet high. Also you didn't specify how long it would need to be. There's a lot of excavation involved. You'll want the first course buried and at least 8" below that for a base. You need to leave at least 8" behind it for backfill with gravel or stone, not soil (except on the very top). You should plate compact the entire base. It may need rebar, and it may need supports that extend into the "retained" area. Should also have drainage.

Don't confuse a real retaining wall with a decorative landscaping wall. I'm no expert but I watched and talked to the landscapers who did a bunch of paver/hardscape work at my house including a 2 foot retaining wall and couldn't believe the engineering that went into just that to hold back 12 feet of earth and stones between my house foundation and the retaining wall. Couldn't estimate cost as mine was part of a bigger project but after watching them do it I know two things for sure...1.) I'm glad I hired someone and 2.) Had I done it myself it would have been done terribly wrong.

Edited by Biometrix

A retaining wall on the edge of a steep drop probably isn't a DIY thing, especially for someone with no masonry experience.  A retaining wall probably requires a permit.  If you build it illegally and something bad happens I assume it could become a really bad time for you.

Just throw down some dirt and enjoy the next several years of a slowly sloping yard.

Thanks.  That’s what I suspected.  Hopefully the rain gutters and French drainage will retard the rate of erosion.  Perhaps I should have a landscaping company lay down a few inches of dirt and compact/seed it to more level it closer to the house or even to the fence...just to even it out some.