CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hedge trimmers. Cordless. Which is best value for the money?

Zero Knievel

Occasional use only.  Prefer dual edge cutter.  Maybe will see use once or twice a year.  When do they tend to go on sale?

We have two with dull blades.  Cost to sharpen would be almost as much as buying new.

Since they'll get little use, buy whatever's cheapest.  The batteries will probably shit out long before anything wears out on the trimmer, especially if they don't get some maintenance between uses.

I shouldn't ask, but gotta; how did you manage to dull out two trimmers only being used once or twice a year?  I have a corded one that's around 30 years old that still seems to work fine, might be dull, don't know or care since it still works.  I have a Craftsman cordless that's relatively new and it bogs down and stalls easily, especially with the smaller 'standard' size batteries.

Consider sharpening the ones you have yourself.  I'm sure there's tutorials on line.

My mom uses a corded.  I have no idea how old it is because it's been around as long as I've been around.  Craftsman.  However, if it ever dies, she has a Black & Decker cordless that uses the same 20v batteries as the weed eater, which she absolutely LOVES because it's so light.  I have the weed eater as well, and have been using it for about 7 years on the original batteries.

Agree with Oscar, you should youtube how to sharpen the blades.  It can't be that difficult.

These trimmers have been around for decades.  Don’t know when they were last sharpened, if ever...and the got a lot of use over the years.  I think sharpening might be doable.  I have a grinding wheel, but I’d have to see what’s involved.