CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Question

RXX

I changed out my drive sprocket and the whole rear wheel, including driven sprocket last week and now have a noisy chain. I am going to readjust wheel today to try to get rid of it. Both sprockets look fine.

Mike, any idea of when you put the last chain on?

Anyway, I am going to by a spare this week to install or bring with me. 

DID 530VX3. What I have forgotten is how many links. If I had to guess I would say 107. I just don’t want to have to shorten it while on the roas.

18T front, and I assume 45T rear.

Maybe the sprockets are miss-aligned, either because the wheel isn't straight or a sprocket has the wrong offset.  Or the chain is too tight, or lacking lube.  I can hear when mine is starting to get thirsty.

39 minutes ago, Furbird said:

If you put a new sprocket on an old chain that could be the source of your noise also.

Neither sprocket is new. The rear wheel was from another bird. Maybe my original, not sure. The drive sprocket was stolen off my original. May have 30,000 miles or so on it. I will find out more in about 2-3 beers.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

I’m sure it’s been a while.  I’ll have to pull the spreadsheet.

I would appreciate that. Just turned 108K yesterday. New sprocket gave me 39 MPG. Damned thing makes the bike feel like it has a 7th gear. I have missed it greatly.

110. Before I forget. Sounds OK on the center stand. You know, I ride so much with my Sena on, it may be nothing.

I had chain issues on my trip to Manic 5 and it cost me a day. Maybe I am just being paranoid. The few times I ride aural naturale open my eyes to all sorts of ghosts.

Edited by RXX
Beer

51 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

1/15/2011 at 70826

Receipt says I bought a DID 530 ZVM2 Gold X-Ring Chain at 110 links

OK, that’s 37,000 miles and almost 10 years. Def new chain. At least to bring along. Thanks, bud. Is there any way you can get me the service history?

59 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Using GPS or the bike's odometer?

The odometer. Since the fuel gauge is fucked up anyway, the odometer will make a “good enough” gas gauge. I think the low level warning light still works. I just know that around 200 miles (321 kM) I had better start looking. Also, that mileage is with ethanol-free 91 octane premium. It will take a few tanks on the road to dial in the difference with blended gas.

3 minutes ago, RXX said:

The odometer. Since the fuel gauge is fucked up anyway, the odometer will make a “good enough” gas gauge. I think the low level warning light still works. I just know that around 200 miles (321 kM) I had better start looking. Also, that mileage is with ethanol-free 91 octane premium. It will take a few tanks on the road to dial in the difference with blended gas.

With the 18t the bike is probably going faster than what the speedo reads, and farther than the odometer reads, so your actual MPG is probably higher than calculated.

4 hours ago, RXX said:

OK, that’s 37,000 miles and almost 10 years. Def new chain. At least to bring along. Thanks, bud. Is there any way you can get me the service history?

I thought I gave you a copy of the maintenance record, but I'll pull it and e-mail it to you if you PM the address.  The chain should still be good given the Pro-Oiler, but I don't know if time affects chains.  For a couple years I did very little riding. :( 

3 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

As mike said, 18 tooth is not stock and will not be a dampened sprocket. Can make more noise. Sprocket and chain that have not run in with each other can be noisy. Chain is 530-110. It's not uncommon to find longer chains (116-120) for less money, just cut it shorter.

Yeah, the dampened sprocket makes a huge difference.  I was too unnerved listening to the ticking noise of the aftermarket sprocket.

46 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I would be interested seeing the difference between good gas and the garbage I have to use.

There are many regional and seasonal gas specs so it depends.

Couple years ago on annual ski trip in February I alternated  between 87 and 89 Oct. E10 vs. 87 Oct. E0 on I80 in Iowa and Nebraska. There was no measurable difference. Car 2014 Volvo with 3.2 atmo engine, speeds 80-85mph.

Just ride it till the wheels fall off. 

110 link, 530 size, KY lube all good. 

As mentioned above the front oem was rubber dampened. The XX is so smooth and quite that you hear stuff normally drowned out by mechanical noises, wind, screaming... 

Enjoy the trip Phil, we need to catch up one day. Drink some good beer, have a good cigar and enjoy the moment. 

Phil, I had @ 30k on my chain and sprockets, and even though they looked OK, i was starting to think I had engine/trans problems.

After the new chain, OEM sprockets, and Road5's, bike feels like new again.    Well, maybe need another CCT, still have that rattle.

I am no longer going to try and squeeze every mile out of the stuff, going to just plan on doing my chain at 15k and tires before they are shot.

Just to confirm, the OEM setup is the 17/45 w/110 links.     

I already had my new OEM sprockets, but did come across this aftermarket rubber cush sprocket, and is avail in 16/17/18 teeth.

Might give it a try next time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9HTTMZ/

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF339/

• Upvote 1