CBR1100XX.org Forum

Muffler fitment

tecman

When I bought my Bird the previous owner had installed a Four Brothers 4 into 1 exhaust.  I needed to replace the can and Four Brothers no longer makes a model that would fit.  I ended up ordering a Yoshimura that works but does not quite fit.

The issue is the neck of the muffler is bigger than the pipe going into it.  I have struggled with how to seal it.  I debated about getting a heat wrap but I do not want to go that route and have to cover the entire pipe.  I have used aluminum foil around the pipe, and slid the can down onto it, and that works, but not for long.  I have had to refit the foil a few times. 

I am wondering if there is something I can slide on the pipe that is angled, thicker at one end so the can will snug up against it, to fix this problem.  I am grateful for the help.

Thanks.

Most any muffler shop will have a pipe expander. you should be able to expand the end of the mid pipe to fit the muffler. I would be very careful about what muffler shop you choose. it's a lot more difficult to make the pipe smaller.

Some of their tools are lifetime warrantee, if this is one of those they should still take it back and give you the deposit.

I'm guessing the tool wasn't fully inserted when you were expanding, or it was in an uneven diameter or curved section of pipe.(?)  Bike pipes are thin, but they give me the impression that they're probably tougher than they look.  I have a set of those expanders and haven't broken one yet, but I don't them much.

Yeah, I got my deposit back, no problem.

I needed to open the pipe .25 inches, I got maybe 3mm.  I was wondering today if it might have been easier if I ran the bike after removing the muffler to heat up the pipe.  Know it would have been LOUD while warming up but may have worked better.  

Oh well, off to look for a gasket...