CBR1100XX.org Forum

steering head bearing tool

Dotetcher

Went back through my old conversations. Heres one from 13 years ago. I'll make something that will work based on this. 

Skip,

You're more than welcome to borrow the tool. Are you changing out the bearings and races? I also made a rig to press in the new races. It's a piece of 1/2" threaded rod about 15" long with two nuts and washers. Use your old races and two large sockets and tighten the nuts to press in the races. It works great. If you look in the Honda manual they sell a tool that presses the bearings which I based mine off of. Just their's is much prettier... mine was free :icon_biggrin:

I didn't like the idea of beating in the races while the bike is balanced in mid air.

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Dotetcher
  • Like 1

I used the old bearing as a protective layer above the new tapered bearing and then used the centre from my 2 tonne axle stands as a drift, fitted nicely and didn't seem to mine the 4lb lump hammer I smacked it with.

You need something like this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-62593.html

Or cut as much if it  as you can with damaging to stem and go from there. No biggie 

For installation, stem in the freezer, new races in the oven( 200 f deg), they should literally drop in. 

Or just watch this. They use chisel at one point. I would still cut as much as you can. It would reduce tension.

OK so new bearings in. Putting stuff back together. Get the forks in and am getting ready to tighten the pinch bolts and I say to myself, "Gee, when did they start putting inspection stickers on the inside of the forks.....fuck."