CBR1100XX.org Forum

Silly question

Dotetcher

So took the bird out for a few hundred miles today. Had fun. Got back and was heading to the gym when I felt a clunk from the front end. I;m not sure if the handling feels a bit heavier. At a standstill bars move freely right and left. Once moving in a straight line.no play at all when trying to wiggle bars back and forth. Have the front end off the ground now. Noticable detente dead center. Other than that no slop no play. Just put new front wheels bearings in a few weeks ago. It just felt weird. Checking frame to make sure nothing farged. Any ideas? Gremlins? Biden?

Braking hardware, axle nut and pinchbolts all fine. With front end suspended there is a slight movement form front to back if I pull and push the front wheel. very slight but its there. I bought the bike with 40000 miles and it now has 128000 miles. Never replacedd the steering head bearings on this one but did on my last.

think you just confirmed what furbird and ironmike were on to.

if it were just loose, you might be able to tighten.  that little notch you're feeling is a dent worn into the bearing race with the steering at "dead ahead".

Edited by ptxyz