CBR1100XX.org Forum

Panic Button Suggestion Needed

Zero Knievel

Mom fell in the shower yesterday...not hurt, but she was pissed I didn't hear her banging on the floor (I was brushing my teeth and thought the thumping sound was the big dog slapping her tail on the floor).

Being rural, calling 911 isn't a priority due to likely long wait for a response.  So....

• Need a waterproof transmitter that can be worn with long battery life.
  • A local alarm so if I'm home, I know something's happening and know to go check on her.
  • I like the kind that lets you program outgoing numbers to call with a pre-recorded message.  If not my cell phone first, our two closest neighbors (at least the one with a spare key), with 911 as the final number if nobody responds.
  • I'd prefer not to have to pay monthly fees.  At this stage, I don't need a high level of service.

The Apple Watch does those things, but it will call 911 after a VERY short delay and notifying your list.  I mean seconds.  It's also got automatic fall detection and some heart monitoring.  No fees unless you get the standalone version with it's own cellular.

EDIT:  Fall detection gives you quite a bit of time to cancel the call and notices.  Unfortunately, I don't think it can do auto-notify without also dialing 911 in a short time.  But she could say "hey siri, tell Zero I've fallen and I can't get up."

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Is anyone in the house an AARP member?  I don't know how they discount devices like this, but I joined just to get $200 off my glasses.

She has AARP, but there's so many providers and devices out there, I'd not know which ones are really good.  I don't trust AARP ads or endorsement on face value.

11 minutes ago, JoWhee said:

I got this for my dad. https://vsnmobil.com/products/v-alrt/learn_more and get a phone and network that supports wifi calling. 

Again, won't work.  We don't have cellular at home.  I'd not want to rely on the internet in a crisis.

Of course you'll find a reason for it to not work. Your mother falling down isn't a reason for the internet to go out! If this was the pub I'd  make a "yo mama so fat" joke. 

Oh fuck it I'm making a joke: 

1 minute ago, SwampNut said:

Must use an analog phone line and no subscription.  I have no idea how that could be remotely possible.  Another wild goose chase where everything we say will be SHOT DOWN.

Wait, analogue (POTS) still exist south of the border? I figured everything would be fibre now. Also FTFY

Delivery to the customer as analog still exists plentifully.  It's just muxxed down the road, or even converted right at the customer demarc on the side of the house.  There are a few places where true analog all the way to the CO still exists for now.  FCC has a mandate to shut it all down soon, I forgot the date.

A device connected to analog lines obviously has to connect to a service to generate notifications, so there would be fees.  It's basically analog alarm monitoring, another dead technology.

Wow, the only analogue lines  I've seen up here are being used to monitor the digital phone equipment or cable pressure, like a watchdog. 

The phone company also uses old analogue alarm monitoring equipment as a cable theft alarm. The panel is hooked up to ~8 pairs of wires shorted out a various intervals. When someone cuts the line, they instantly know which line and at about which point it was cut, it has caught more than a few copper thieves, one of which was an employee 🤦‍♂️

So have we completely detailed the topic yet? 

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Must use an analog phone line and no subscription.  I have no idea how that could be remotely possible.  Another wild goose chase where everything we say will be ignored.

Okay....

There are panic buttons that will trigger an in house unit to dial numbers and play a pre-recorded message to summon help.  However, there are many of them and narrowing down one that’s not junk is difficult.  I was looking for recommendations from those who have done this.

Cellular is not an option out here.  Has to work with landline.

I can’t use an internet based one because internet signal varies in performance and VOIP is cruddy at best.  If they ever bother to install true broadband fiber optics out here, this wouldn’t be an issue.

I’d rather pay more for a contained unit than a monthly service at this point.

Edited by Zero Knievel

if you're home to hear it, how about a wireless doorbell?

https://www.amazon.com/wireless-doorbell/s?k=wireless+doorbell

beyond my abilities but, couldn't something like that trigger a landline call or some other type of notification if you're not home with her?