CBR1100XX.org Forum

Panic Button Suggestion Needed

Zero Knievel

He never said cost wad an issue, and it's his mom so no expense should be spared. It's certainly fits the requirements.

It's not like she would be in the basement. 

3 minutes ago, JoWhee said:

It's certainly fits the requirements.

Not at all, since it doesn't work indoors.  Why does this have to be repeated?  Satellite signals don't go through obstructions.  It doesn't meet any of the rest of the list of needs except for being waterproof.

Got a call from one of the companies.  My phone carrier is a problem.  Century Link has outdated hardware which won’t work with landline based systems and we aren’t in a cell coverage area.  I’ll use this to confront the issue that are phone hardware hasn’t been upgraded while others around us (with a different carrier) has state of the art phone service.

23 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Yes.  Minimally effective (only boosted flip phone signal strength).

Which tells me your testing was incorrect, or you got an incorrect repeater, or something like that.  Or your flip phone is on a different carrier?  Or you did a shit job of mounting the outside antenna.

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Which tells me your testing was incorrect, or you got an incorrect repeater, or something like that.  Or your flip phone is on a different carrier?  Or you did a shit job of mounting the outside antenna.

A booster only enhances what you can get.  We get one bar on a flip phone.  Smart phones need 3G or better.  Straight from the tech support for the booster.  It was improving signal strength but it wouldn’t pull in 3G.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, SwampNut said:

Yup, you don't understand how any of this works, and are making incorrect decisions based on that.

Well, trust me, the phone companies aren’t that interested in solving the problem.  Verizon just wants to sell equipment with no assurance it will work to our needs or at all.  Been there, done that.

It would be nice if someone could come to the site with a selection of options and see which (if any) work, and then you know which options to order.  Instead, they want you to try a device, and if not happy return it (with restocking fees) and try another again and again.  I don’t mind running to town, but I want them to provide loaner equipment (with a deposit, of course) for me to test the effectiveness before contracting for a service I may not be able to use.

Edited by Zero Knievel

I'm guessing, since I don't know the technology, that the boost in signal will let a smart or flip make calls and the '3G or better' is just so that the smart phone can get internet service which it shouldn't need in the house since you have wifi.