CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB 2000 or later titanium or redbird pref

Hey there, SierraKLR, just a quick ping. Your TI Bird is still looking good to me! Let me know if you need to make room in your garage for a Panigale or a LiveWire.

Make me anoffer, maybe I can beat the price that you paid for it.

Are those stock clipons? I'm getting to be an old bird myself, so I might have to go with Helis. Due to my impressive hip xray, I also might have to go with a Gunfighter seat. Or myabe seek out a gel-pad guru on a mountaintop in Nepal. Comfort is key, which is partly why I need to get out from under my Erik Buell Racing bike.

Regardless, best wishes with the fires, and don't get sick!

k

Being that the EBR has handlebars couldn't you just bolt on so higher ones and mod the seat to suit you, or is it the overall bike that just doesn't work for you?

I think the EBR is cool, don't know much about them, but I like how different it is.  I've always like some of the Buell's differences compared to 'normal' bikes.

I could up the bars, lower the adjustable pegs, and customize the thin seat. The bike totally hauls ass and handles great. Unfortunately, I dropped it in a slimy corner in the mountains last year. Low speed, but I probably need a new front wheel ($$$) along with right-side bodywork. Sigh. Broke me fookin collarbone too. I blame the 22.5 degrees of rake.  8-}  It's running now, but the front end is still dodgy on the brakes. Ugh. I made several mistakes when I bought that bike.

Hello Ken, The bars are stock, but I ordered a set of Gen-Mars for it that I have yet to install.  The Redbird has Heli-Bars and they do make a nice bit of difference.  I had the SliverBird out yesterday (100 miles) and the day before ( 200 mile) and that bike does seem to have a bit more oomph than the Red.  Has to be because of the PCII and the Full Yoshi exhaust. 

A,I could up the bars, lower the adjustable pegs, and customize the thin seat. The bike totally hauls ass and handles great. Unfortunately, I dropped it in a slimy corner in the mountains last year. Low speed, but I probably need a new front wheel ($$$) along with right-side bodywork. Sigh. Broke me fookin collarbone too. I blame the 22.5 degrees of rake.  8-}

• 5 weeks later...

Hello SIerra and Fellow Threadistas. I appear to have found a candidate FI Titanium.

https://monterey.craigslist.org/mcy/d/seaside-2002-honda-cbr1100xx-blackbird/7222800536.html 

The seller seems legit. His father in law died and he's trying to unload the Bird. 28K miles, recently serviced, "EC", recent minor dealer service (oil, chain tension). The owner was an avid mechanic, which is always good to hear. The bike did sit for a year or so, but it's apparently in good running condition now.

Possible oddities, advice much appreciated:

1. Bike dropped on left side, scraping the bottom of the clutch cover and apparently requiring the replacement of the top-left fairing. The replacement piece was aftermarket, which was painted "to match." Does that sound right? Would a tipover would crack the upper fairing? Is the aftermarket piece problematic?

2. Replacement clipons. The seller says that the new clips somehow limit the bike's turning radius. Maybe because the lift was too high and the cables weren't replaced? Or maybe the grips hit the tank at full lock? I asked for more photos of the bars.

3. Odd title situation. The owner died with the title unsigned. The bike is still insured, and the seller has sent photos of a pink slip and other docs, with his mom's name on them. Is this a red flag?

I'll probably ship through USShip or some such. I'm not sure that I'm ready to take a plane flight any time soon and it's a long trip from greater San Fran.

Sierra, I'm sure that your's is better that this one. You still plan to keep your two Birds?

Ken

I've tipped mine straight over on its side. It didn't do near that much damage. My kid tipped his turning in a gravel drive really low speed, again no where near that much damage. I painted it and it@ still holding.

I could see grips hitting the tank depending on their model and adjustment.

I agree with XXTitanium's comments.  Big red flag fro me on the reduced steering on the replacement clip -ons.  They also look "silly high".  The reduced turning is probably because the bars hit the fairing or screen.  California can be a PITA on title issues so make sure that gets vetted if you pursue this bike.  Seaside and Monterey are notorious for causing corrosion on aluminum and other parts given the salt air....if it was stored outside or not in a good garage and cleaned regularly ( they pics on the listing show the rear wheel and other items...swing arm. brakes, etc...pretty dirty )  $ 2850 is a good price...but I would approach with serious caution, given the stuff I indicate above.

As for my bike, I am in a shelter in financial place mode pending the outcome and potential response to the Election. I have a deposit in place for a new 2021 BMW R1250RT, so I will most likely be parting with one of my bikes...I am just not making that final decision for another week or so as to which one.  I do not want to lead you on that I will part with the Silverbird...but the Seaside bike has enough concern that I would want a set of eyes on it before I would commit..if I was buying it.  I would normally be all over doing that for you but my next month is pretty full with year end stuff.   Maybe there is another board member that is closer that could do that for you ?  

This is Pot calling the kettle comment, but be patient.  These bikes come up frequent enough that you should not have to settle....wait for the right one. If you wish a project, this one "might" be a good starting piont...but the dollars creep up quickly and dependent upon the corrosion present and the potential title issues in dealing with the Great State of CA I would want you to be eyes wide open.

Technically the title needs to be signed by the owner.  Realistically it can be signed by anyone and it'll fly, that's been my experience.  I've forged a few.  A bigger issue is if the registration is expired, you'll have to pay the back-fees to keep it registered in Ca.

The crash damage is a bit suspect but even without any obvious damage it should be inspected carefully.

'If the bars are too high or too far forward they'll hit the front fairing.

The bike has been down lightly on the left, scratching the stator cover and the side cowl.

It has also fallen over on the right, scratching the side cowl, tip of the front fender, and the mirror cover edge.

I don't know what a top left fairing is.  The upper cowl encompasses both left and right.  I noticed the headlight does not fit quite like "OEM perfect."  That's not unusual with aftermarket fairings.

Hard to tell pain quality from pictures.  Bars and bar ends are not stock, and raising the bars causes interference, that's just physics, no "red flag" there.  I cannot tell if there are new brake lines or throttle cables.  The Cclutch hose looks like it was just released from the frame bolt down for more length.

Frame plugs, Laminar Lip screen, otherwise looks stock.  Lower fairing mounts may be broken in a tipover, can't tell without a physical examination, and they are not altogether necessary.  

Price isn't too bad, and the bike doesn't look like it has sustained a lot of hidden abuse. Biggest issue is the title, as Oscar said.  

Thanks much for the excellent input (e)XX(c)ite, Sierra, and Superhawk. Maybe I can return the favor sometime.

I'm a lot more concerned about condition than price. And I don't want to rush into anything.

I saw that Heli bars (which retain the stock cables) only have provide an 1.5" of rise. The photos do seem to be higher than that.

There's no question that the owner will sell the bike at that price. I won't ask him to lower the price, because he has already spent $1,000.00 on it. 

I asked the guy if he could go out and start the bike, so that I could listen to it. He came back with taking the bike to his Honda mechanic so that I could listen to it there, and talk to the mechanic about the condition of the bike. The mechanic had recommended a full fluid change, but the owner opted for an oil change only.

I'd be more comfortable with a bike that was being ridden regularly.

Sierra, did you hear that someone just got 273 electoral votes?  😉

k

You know, here's the thing...even the most abused XX at 28k miles is unlikely to have mechanical problems.  Anyone else please correct me, but I don't even see a way that it could have problems outside of maybe never having had an oil change.  So that just leaves you deciding on whether the visuals and accessories are to your liking.  Mechanically, we've seen near-zero major issues, and just lots of dumb things like the CCT and regulator fail.

For fluids, yeah, you should do brake, clutch, and radiator just based on age.  Easy, cheap.

• KenNcDoD changed the title to WTB 2000 or later titanium or redbird pref

Hello there and Happy New Year to all of you flyers of the Bird. I'm still in the market for the XX of my dreams. I still have the 2014 EBR 1190 SX, which is running just fine. I would be willng to trade. The EBR is a great bike, but I'm a rider, not a wrencher. Been looking all over for an XX, still only had the one decent lead. Just saw a new black '03 on the .com site in suburban Chicago. $6K is pretty high, but it might be worth a one-way rental car ride from here in central NC. Ring me up or text me if you're thinking of selling. 919-413-3118

On 11/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, SwampNut said:

You know, here's the thing...even the most abused XX at 28k miles is unlikely to have mechanical problems.

I sold my first '97 BB to a friend with a little over 50k miles.  About 5K later he gave it to his son.  My friend rode somewhat aggressively, 100 was his standard freeway speed, the kid was more aggressive.  About 10k later the engine seized.  The oil hadn't been changed or even checked, it ran dry, that's what it takes to kill one.

21 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Humm, 14 years newer, six more HP and a heck of a lot rarer...

But they were never big sellers.  I read an article from 2018 where they talked about how cool the bike was and how you could still find 3 year old models brand new.  They 'showcased' one that a guy had bought for $6k brand new, one mile on the odo.  I don't know what is actually good/bad about them, but I dig them.  If Ken were open to carbed Birds I think I'd have trouble saying no to the trade.

• Upvote 1

On 1/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, KenNcDoD said:

Hello there and Happy New Year to all of you flyers of the Bird. I'm still in the market for the XX of my dreams. I still have the 2014 EBR 1190 SX, which is running just fine. I would be willng to trade. The EBR is a great bike, but I'm a rider, not a wrencher. Been looking all over for an XX, still only had the one decent lead. Just saw a new black '03 on the .com site in suburban Chicago. $6K is pretty high, but it might be worth a one-way rental car ride from here in central NC. Ring me up or text me if you're thinking of selling. 919-413-3118

You need to contact Googus over in Charlotte. He may be selling his ‘03. Beautiful bike, has been in NC for EVer. Was Hooplehead’s originally. I have ridden with him, bike is pretty. 

Googus is talking about selling.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the helpful input all of yunz. My EBR SX is the rare Laguna Blue color. Only 50 made, 154th off of the production line in Wisconsin. Very active and supportive owner's group. Most of the bugaboos are clearly understood now. Mine has about 10K miles, and it needs some work, but it runs great and it's a great play bike for a younger rider. I have soft luggage for it. I need to sell partly because I have arthritis in my hips. I need something that I can enjoy without standing up on the pegs every 20 minutes. 

I'll contact Googus for sure. It'd be great to find a relatively local Bird. 

• Upvote 1