CBR1100XX.org Forum

BMW never lube chain

OMG

Never lube and never adjust implies it'll last forever, I don't buy it.  My guess is that they'll be similar to non-serviceable items on cars.  When ignored the 'sealed for life' parts last longer, but if a serviceable part is properly maintained it can last damn near forever.

According to a guy at Spicer putting on a training for heavy truck stuff, if serviceable U-joints are properly maintained they'll outlast the rest of the truck.  If they're fucked off they'll be dead long before the sealed version, but the sealed version will wear out.

On the BMW sites I visit, we are skeptical at best.  Modern O and X-ring chains need no maintenance, but they will last until the seals dry out and the lube in the roller bearings leaks out.  The proposed chain is no different.  Maybe it’s resistant to rust and corrosion, but an automated chain oiler will keep existing X-ring chains going strong for 2-3 times the normal lifespan easily.

10 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

On the BMW sites I visit, we are skeptical at best.  Modern O and X-ring chains need no maintenance, but they will last until the seals dry out and the lube in the roller bearings leaks out.  The proposed chain is no different.  Maybe it’s resistant to rust and corrosion, but an automated chain oiler will keep existing X-ring chains going strong for 2-3 times the normal lifespan easily.

That's why I installed a pro-oiler on the bird and I think I adjusted the chain once in the last 25k. The rear wheel requires more cleaning than the GS though. But then again the chain is easier to renew than lubing the splines on the shaft drive.

25 minutes ago, OMG said:

That's why I installed a pro-oiler on the bird and I think I adjusted the chain once in the last 25k. The rear wheel requires more cleaning than the GS though. But then again the chain is easier to renew than lubing the splines on the shaft drive.

Before Pro-Oiler, I got about 30K on a chain and sprocket set (as I recall).  After the Pro-Oiler, I was over 60K and no sign of wearing out...I'd have to see if it's the same set when I sold it to RXX.  Paid for itself just in the cost of sprockets/chain but also being able to take long trips without needing to stop and clean/lube the chain every few hundred miles.

it "drastically" reduces the friction coefficient where the roller interfaces with the sprocket teeth, and with the bushing surrounding the pin that holds the chain links together,"

I wonder how much free H.P. the chain will make?  It has seals without lube, I would think the seals would wear.

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

It does sound dramastically different from other chains.  I think you will actually get more RWHP than crank HP, due to the sinusoidal repleneration of the dissimilar metals.

It could be but I was leaning more to magnetic repulsion.

When evaluating BMW claims please do remember the company is owned by descendents of Goebbels family (for real). Dr. Goebbels was minister of propaganda or 1930's version of fnc or cnn.

58 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Sounds like a chain built with much greater technology than current standard, and as such would be expected to be serviceable for a much longer time.

Better built, more money, makes sense.

This sounds rational and well balanced.

<checks URL>

<drinks more coffee>

WTF.