CBR1100XX.org Forum

Repair a bottle jack?

Zero Knievel

The old one stopped working, and I replaced it with one from Hazard Fraught Tools, but before I toss the old one, how difficult is it to repair?  Given its age, I presume the seals are shot and that replacing them and adding new hydraulic fluid will make it work like new.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NEVER EVER make any attempt to fix a jack!  The moment it does anything questionable throw that bitch straight into the mail box and I'll make sure it doesn't get a chance to hurt someone.  That plug that everyone on the planet, including the manufacturer, says is for adding oil; NEVER TOUCH IT!  It's a trap!  It's the Chinks way of taking us out one DIYer at a time 'till the US is comprised of nothing but useless dependent idiots buying their latest junk.

Well, if you feel that way, so far, I don’t see a “fill plug.”  Still just looking at the jack, it’s oozing oil from several places...it needed to be remanufactured.  I doubt they make kits for that.  I just hate the idea of chucking stuff in a landfill.

i'm with you, zero.  return it to service.  one shouldn't be under anything supported by only a jack anyway...

sounds like yours might just need to be refilled and bled.

guy has a bunch of how to videos.

Mike,

I would definitely try a fill if the jack is a old pre China model.

Oscar is right that you should be careful with it. And don't get under anything that you have lifted with it. A good practice for any jack.

On 10/1/2020 at 7:35 PM, redxxrdr said:

Oscar is right that you should be careful with it.

I was being sarcastic, I thought it would become evident when I said "throw that bitch in the mailbox, as in, send it to me so I'll have a free jack.  I guess my whit was dull.  Adding oil should pose no danger.  You could probably use just about anything, but using jack oil will remove doubt.  With the jack lowered you fill to the plug and done.  If it got really low and you pumped air into the ram; raise it, lower it, and top off.  If the leaks are big, like it's dripping, then pitch it or maybe reseal it.  If it's just wet, refill it.  I have a couple really old jacks that have been leaking for years, I top them off here & there.

The fill hole should be on the vertical part at or above the middle.  It's usually a rubber plug you just pull out, sometimes it's a threaded plug.

Sorry for not responding sooner.  With a replacement jack in the garage, I’ve not made it a priority to mess with the older one.  Perhaps over the winter when I have nothing better to do.  I haven’t even thought to stop and buy a bottle of oil for the jack or disassemble the old one.