CBR1100XX.org Forum

Aging Electrical Switch Dissassembly, cleaning, lubrication, repair, Replacement

XXitanium

Do we have any local experts on cleaning and lubing electrical switches. .....brought over from the auxilliary fan thread: 

CorrosionX is something I was just taught by no. 1 son. Five years at MiTech and I'm directly benefitting. It is a "conformal coating" used to clean and seal metal electrical assemblies.

I haven't tried it on my bike yet, but it seemed to do quite well in my truck.

CorrosionX is not a conformal coating, and conformal coatings do not clean things.  The most common conformal coatings that are easily available are silicone, which cures flexible but not fluid, and acrylic which cures hard. CorrosionX is a different breed; a fluid film that will never cure and will always remain fluid.  Boeshield is another great option in fluid film products.  I have all four.  They all have different uses.

Fluid films have great applications from electronics that move to vehicle underbodies in harsh conditions.  Curing conformal coatings are not suitable for moving things, that I've ever seen, though I'm certainly not a real expert on them.  Non of the conformals sitting around at the local electronics supply house would be suitable for a switch.

CorrosionX should be great for switches.  I finished killing off a sketchy turn signal switch by using it.  Could have been it was too far gone.

6 hours ago, SwampNut said:

CorrosionX should be great for switches.  I finished killing off a sketchy turn signal switch by using it.

I would try flushing it out with a 'normal' fully evaporating contact/electronics cleaner, then possibly a lube.  It could be that the lube combined with crap in there and gummed it all up.  I doubt it's worn out, but I'm pretty sure the bike sat outside a long time before I got it.  The switch was super sticky at first but got better with use, then it would get shittier again the longer it sat.  It was sitting in AZ where you picked it up so probably not much rain/corrosion, probably a fair bit of dust.  It rarely sat outdoors uncovered once I got it, but even in the house it would get a bit stickier when it sat unused.

I don't recall ever disassembling one of these, but I've done others to clean/lube.  That's a possible option.

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I would try flushing it out with a 'normal' fully evaporating contact/electronics cleaner, then possibly a lube.

I went through all the logical steps, and everything I tried made it worse and worse.  Maybe Chinese plastics are as good as their metals, as I thought it was basically getting more sticky.  I started with standard plastic-safe switch cleaner, got worse.  Added CorrosionX, got worse.  Took it apart and went through several cleanings and lube, got worse.  Then I realized they are $27 and just said fuck it.

I suppose I should try doing the XX now while it's too hot to ride, and have time to order another.  The China bike fix attempt was in good riding weather so it pissed me off a lot.

7 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Does that include-

553413569_FluidFilm.thumb.jpg.ef5e48e0e0807c06ef9968c25e7f2070.jpg

Not sure what you're asking.  Yes, that's another fluid film product, and I know very little about it, never tried it.  I've heard great things for use on underbodies in snow areas.  It's a lanolin product in a carrier, while CorrosionX is an alkenyl in a petroleum carrier.  That allows it to bond to carbon really well.  No idea how lanolin works at a chemical level.  I read about CorrosionX on lots of electrical/electronic/boating forums and never hear of Fluid Film.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I went through all the logical steps, and everything I tried made it worse and worse.  Maybe Chinese plastics are as good as their metals, as I thought it was basically getting more sticky.  I started with standard plastic-safe switch cleaner, got worse.  Added CorrosionX, got worse.  Took it apart and went through several cleanings and lube, got worse.  Then I realized they are $27 and just said fuck it.

I suppose I should try doing the XX now while it's too hot to ride, and have time to order another.  The China bike fix attempt was in good riding weather so it pissed me off a lot.

Oh, I thought this was about the XX.  It was a little sticky.

11 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I would never use Fluid Film on electrical switches, it would gum up the works.  It is great under cars though.

Works fantastically on high end electronics and medical equipment.