CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trans oil

blackhawkxx

About fifteen years ago I changed the transmission fluid in my truck and had bought too much.  I'm thinking of changing the trans fluid in my current vehicle that uses the same oil and wondering if the unopened Motorcraft Mercon V is still OK to use?  I kind of hate to throw it away and buy more if there is no issue.

The going rumor is you need to shake it up first as it may separate out.  I've heard that synthetics are prone to this, and the oil will come out in distinctly two different colors.  I always shake the bottles no matter how old they are so can't confirm this personally.

3 hours ago, Furbird said:

The going rumor is you need to shake it up first as it may separate out.  I've heard that synthetics are prone to this, and the oil will come out in distinctly two different colors.  I always shake the bottles no matter how old they are so can't confirm this personally.

I will, why not but as long as it all gets dumped in I would think it would mix together anyway.

No way, it's junk now.  Send it to me for proper disposal.

I've seen sediment in oil bottles and don't know if that's good stuff that searated out of the oil or junk that was in it and not filtered out in the processing.  I asked an "oil expert", I think it was someone at Amsoil, and he said that if there was any separation to throw it away because that means the oil is fucked.

The rumor is that the more complex the oil the more likely it is to go bad sitting.  Makes sense, more additives more chances of something not jiving.  If the stuff you have still looks & smells like new stuff I'd use it, if not I'd toss it.  A few bucks worth of fluid vs. a potential rebuild.

Build an anti-chase oil slick sprayer and dump the fluid into the tank so it'll be repurposed instead of wasted.  Add burnout sprayers to your tires for on demand spectacular smokeouts.