CBR1100XX.org Forum

Garage chit-chat... ...best masks cost/performance.

XXitanium

...no.3 has decided to change his mind and finish his degree this year instead of putting it off till after the election, er, I mean pandemic is over.

There don't seem to be guidelines - The N95 with disposable filters are $25 ‐ ish. That's not so bad, but the filters are good for 20 hours and cost $1 each. (hearing Stevie Ray Vaughn - Tax Man in my head) ...so an extra $5.00 per week.

The cloth washable are probably fine according to Uncle Rob.  ...video pasted in the "Virus" thread.

My good friend George paratrooper come Semi Driver decided to retire and stay home.

...any discussion from those of us who are forced to go out into a highly contagious and hostile work environment? (Sarcasm)

I will probably just go with cloth, but there have only been 10 deaths here in MC.

Junior is in beer town and maybe should use some more caution - and be comfortable and stylish. He's the only clothes-horse in the bunch.

116708449_1585241538350540_3476432433524048783_n.jpg

20200410_165942.jpg

Edited by XXitanium

I've been using a cloth one made specifically for me, I like it quite a bit.  Before that I was using disposable N95.  Note you can wear the N95 for much longer than stated and still be effective; that rating is for protection from particulates that fill it up.  The virus particles will not stay around.  Bottom line is make yourself comfortable, any mask is going to give you a huge reduction in dosage and risk.

12 hours ago, XXitanium said:

...no.3 has decided to change his mind and finish his degree this year instead of putting it off till after the election, er, I mean pandemic is over.

There don't seem to be guidelines - The N95 with disposable filters are $25 ‐ ish. That's not so bad, but the filters are good for 20 hours and cost $1 each. (hearing Stevie Ray Vaughn - Tax Man in my head) ...so an extra $5.00 per week.

The cloth washable are probably fine according to Uncle Rob.  ...video pasted in the "Virus" thread.

My good friend George paratrooper come Semi Driver decided to retire and stay home.

...any discussion from those of us who are forced to go out into a highly contagious and hostile work environment? (Sarcasm)

I will probably just go with cloth, but there have only been 10 deaths here in MC.

Junior is in beer town and maybe should use some more caution - and be comfortable and stylish. He's the only clothes-horse in the bunch.

116708449_1585241538350540_3476432433524048783_n.jpg

20200410_165942.jpg

Your son is a young man. He has little to worry about. The mask and type of mask will do little to protect him. The sooner he builds some immunity the better.

Has he been tested for antibodies?

Is he seriously worried??

1 minute ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

The sooner he builds some immunity the better.

LOL.

Dude, remember he's the sarcasm and trolling master.  Don't take it seriously, it's your kid's life.

3 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

LOL.

Dude, remember he's the sarcasm and trolling master.  Don't take it seriously, it's your kid's life.

Riiiight. Because 20 year olds are dropping dead by the truckload.

Swampy's germaphobia is at an all time advanced level.

No matter which one you go with, have multiples to swap out as they get moist.  In the Jeep I have my custom cloth one, a disposable fabric-like industrial particulate mask, and a disposable N95.  I gravitate to my custom cloth simply for fit (I have a huge head).  I can't say any are generally better than the other.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Neither of us are particularly worried. It's a requirement for school.

Comfort/style/ performance/ functionality?

Price. Letter them up with Biden hair sniffing propaganda.

14 hours ago, SwampNut said:

No matter which one you go with, have multiples to swap out as they get moist.  In the Jeep I have my custom cloth one, a disposable fabric-like industrial particulate mask, and a disposable N95.  I gravitate to my custom cloth simply for fit (I have a huge head).  I can't say any are generally better than the other.

But it's his CHILD'S LIFE????!!!!

This may turn into an oil thread.

The masks, excepting N95’s, according to many in the field, are designed to protect OTHERS, not the wearer. 

I have been wearing masks as part of my PPE for decades, and have skin in the game. If he wants protection for him, true N95’s, worn with great discipline is what he needs. Fashion be damned.

I wear masks to maintain the sterility of the products I make, not protect me from the products. We have a handful of respirators available to protect us from the rare volatilization of certain radioactive products in an emergency. They, like N95’s, are designed to protect the user.

If he is wearing for common sense/organizational fiat, best bet is to buy a box or two of disposable paper masks with elastic bands and keep a handful of them in different places. They can be reused with diminishing effectiveness until the Skoal stains become unbearable.

Can almost guarantee you a man of your son’s size will be constantly chaffed by the inflexible ear straps on most of the cloth fashion masks. 

5 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Don't pollute Garage with your crap. Don't be like couple other guys here.  (You know who you are).

9 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Yes.  Your point?

Because of this thread I started paying attention to masks, and 100% of the people I saw at the grocery store yesterday were in basic reusable cloth masks.  At first many were wearing various disposables, N95, etc.  I stopped noticing masks, and never noticed the change.

13 hours ago, RXX said:

If he is wearing for common sense/organizational fiat, best bet is to buy a box or two of disposable paper masks with elastic bands and keep a handful of them in different places. They can be reused with diminishing effectiveness until the Skoal stains become unbearable.

Can almost guarantee you a man of your son’s size will be constantly chaffed by the inflexible ear straps on most of the cloth fashion masks. 

Thanks for the thoughtful germaine reply.

He gets triple layer disposables from his work for free. He's fine with them. I was just thinking of doing something nice for him.

Cigna sent us masks in the mail, they just showed up.  Moriah thinks they are too huge (she wears an XS size helmet), and I think they are almost big enough (XXL).  The great part is that they are incredibly super soft fabric.