CBR1100XX.org Forum

Project Blackbird

JaBr

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Machine guns are too dangerous to allow into the hands of civilians.....unless they pay $200 for the privilege.

Unless you live in the Uk where you aren't allowed to register one ;) 

So, in the next couple of hours I should have my nice shiny certificate that allows me to register the blackbird on the island.  All they have to check is that the rear indicators work.  Fingers crossed I got it right this time 😆

After that it's a case of register (£48) and ride.

So that's that then.  Blackbird basically done.  Off to register it now :) 

Mine's one of the very early ones, registered 11th September 1996.  I bought her 1st April 2019.

IMG_5083.thumb.jpeg.235c6824e3fd33afc13e2ce88fc0388c.jpeg

• Upvote 1

First registered on 9/11, purchased on April fool's day...hmmm

To get the inspection do they give you a temporary permit to ride it to the inspection or do you have to transport it?

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

First registered on 9/11, purchased on April fool's day...hmmm

To get the inspection do they give you a temporary permit to ride it to the inspection or do you have to transport it?

I know, strange combination 😆

You can ride it as long as your insurance company is willing to cover you.  Mine was willing to risk it so no issue.  I'll be able to use it once I get the new numberplate, which should be Monday.

14 minutes ago, fizzy said:

I see top left of certificate, states, "Imported". I guess everything is imported there, except for this:

See the source image

Long time since I saw one of those 😅

That is referring to the test type if I recall correctly, I have personally imported the vehicle so it's an import test.  Buses / Taxis and some other classes of vehicle have an annual roadworthiness test and that entry on the certificate would be different despite them also being imported.

Reminds me how comically simple Isle of Man government documents are.  Long ago I printed myself a driver's license from there, and used it to fly and to open a bank account, just for the hell of it.  No questions.  Wonder if I still have it around.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, SwampNut said:

Reminds me how comically simple Isle of Man government documents are.  Long ago I printed myself a driver's license from there, and used it to fly and to open a bank account, just for the hell of it.  No questions.  Wonder if I still have it around.

The driving licence is much more like the UK / EU one now, plastic card with holograms etc.  A lot harder to fake than the old paper type :) 

19 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I don't remember without going through all the pages, did you ever use the carb tune kit and fancy screwdriver?

Not yet, still on the to-do, although less urgent than it was getting her through the test.

Put the new seat on today :) 

IMG_5088.thumb.jpg.7a57c2b656a2991eeea995af78a0cf44.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 1:20 AM, blackhawkxx said:

That seat makes it.

Makes a big difference, very comfortable, has gel pads built in and the surface is anti-slip.  On the downside, I'm a shortarse and between the new seat and the 6mm spacer on the rear shock I can now just about reach the ground with my tiptoes.  Not good.

4 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Well, you can always lower it.  

There is that I guess, or maybe just remove the spacer might help.

When I learned to ride my instructor was about 3 inches shorter than me, I'm 5'7", his bike was a GS1200.  How he ever reached the floor is beyond me, but it was the third GS he'd owned and used so I suppose he got used to the height.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

If you like the handling with the spacer but want it lower; lower the front, then you can eliminate or reduce the lift in the rear.

Good call, may be time to experiment :) 

10 minutes ago, JaBr said:

Good call, may be time to experiment :) 

I did a 4mm spacer under the shock mount, because 6 was too much.  I had lowered the front a little, but then scrapped the fairing and stator cover at a track day, so had to go back to stock height.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So I bit the bullet and removed the 6mm spacer.  Next job is balance carbs and tune.  Hopefully this weekend.  Got everything I need in place at last, including my next three project bikes, the two ZZRs were £400 for the pair, the GSXR was £1500.  All bikes are complete, some parts are removed though, they should be delivered in a few weeks time.

1990 ZZR600

IMG_5159.thumb.jpeg.d1016550bee2d7b8a61f322848695914.jpeg

1993 ZZR600

IMG_5158.thumb.jpeg.7289af36550d94890b542e61f1e0202f.jpeg

1988(ish) GSXR400 Slingshot (Slab side) - This one's a keeper.

IMG_5160.thumb.jpeg.b172f96adbcb1e5b5db9ae8c0c0332ad.jpeg 

• Like 1

Wow.  That is very cool.  Upgrade the suspension and brakes on that little 400, and you have a super fun track day weapon.  There is famous museum in Birmingham, Alabama that I'm pretty sure doesn't have one of those.  Bet they would love to get their hands on it.

• Upvote 1

Well it won’t be for sale for quite some time, if at all.  The ZZR’s are the priority work, they’re ‘paying’ for the GSXR400, both need a fair bit of work but should be viable once complete.  

apparently the GSXR400 red lines at 15500, it’s going to be a hoot to ride 😂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I'd never heard of the GSXR400, trippy.

As I understand it they were for the Jap market originally, this will have been a grey import at some point to the UK that wound up on the Isle of Man.  Hardest bit is going to be leaving it alone until the ZZRs are finished 😂

• Upvote 1