CBR1100XX.org Forum

Project Blackbird

JaBr

On 7/21/2020 at 10:04 PM, SwampNut said:

Damn.  How bad is the tank?

Have a dram...

Why thank you sir, don't mind if I do :)

The tank could be worse but it's the combined annoyance I guess.  I'll put some pics up next week when I'm on the other computer.

So, the last couple of days have been a bit of a slower pace...

Rear subframe is now on, starting to look a bit more like a motorcycle now

2/3 calipers rebuilt, remember those annoyances I mentioned, one of the seals for the largest piston on one of the front calipers was undersized :(   Have contacted company but need to measure offending piston to confirm sizing tomorrow.  New stainless steel pistons are in.

New electrosport stator has arrived and been fitted, it's an injection model version so should kick out plenty of juice for the planned accessory fusebox.

Shindengen R/R has been ordered but likely to be another week at least due to it coming from the USA

Replacement fork legs have arrived and apart from a couple of minor pits in the chrome look pretty good so they're going on.  Will remove and rebuild if needed, have kits and oil

Headstock bearings replaced with All-Balls racing taper bearings, surprisingly straightforward to do, nice smooth lock to lock steering now.  Was very notch before.

Tail section under plastic had a good clean before refitting, looks nice now.

Disks I bought last year turned out to be for the injection model so don't fit, seller not interested as I bought them nearly a year ago. Ah well, eBay here I come.

Radiator bottom bracket screw sheared when removing bracket for clean / paint, what's another sheared bolt between friends eh?

I know I've extolled the virtues of the Abba skyline before, but I really do think it's an excellent piece of kit, it's made this whole project far simpler than it would otherwise have been.  I know many would rather use a lifting table but for me the skylift is definitely more useable, it also takes up very little room in my already limited garage space.

Hard to believe but my list of jobs at last appears to be shrinking, there have been some setbacks along the way, and additional expenses as documented but all in all I'm starting to be grateful for the chance to get to know this beastie better.  I'm maybe not the most accomplished motorcycle mechanic but this has been a major step forward for me, I've done a fair bit with cars so I guess that helps.  I'm very glad I took the decision to do this rather than pay someone a fortune to do it for me.  I've taken on several jobs that I would have been nervous of and found they're actually not as scary as I thought.

Nice job but All Balls bearing kits are of criminal quality . They use the ultra cheap Chinese bearings in their kits. 

Been there, never again.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, JaBr said:

New electrosport stator has arrived and been fitted, it's an injection model version so should kick out plenty of juice for the planned accessory fusebox.

Hopefully you know that this presents potential problems.

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

I am not aware, what is the potential? 

...oh shit, what did I do there?

More power being shunted off by the regulator making it run hotter, unless extra accessories are always being used, or it has a series regulator.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

More power being shunted off by the regulator making it run hotter, unless extra accessories are always being used, or it has a series regulator.

I have the Shindengen Mosfet FH020AA on order that should take care of the issue I believe, once I found the stator needed changing it was logical to do both and remove the weak link that is the standard bumwarmer, aka R/R :) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-REGULATOR-UPGRADE-KIT-SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH020AA/133449244776

On 7/21/2020 at 10:04 PM, SwampNut said:

Damn.  How bad is the tank?

Have a dram...

So just a small chunk, but enough to annoy me 

IMG_4706.thumb.JPEG.acc76223a58f6be44be54cf4734d92d5.JPEG

45 minutes ago, JaBr said:

This seems strange, it is in the United States but they will not ship to the United States.

Doesn't post to United States | See details
Item location:
Joplin, Missouri, United States

So I thought I'd give an update of what remains, in no particular order...

1. Fit new Mosfet R/R

2. Fit new accessory fusebox

3. Remove sheared bolt in block

4. Tighten rear subframe

5. Refit calipers and mounting pieces / bleed brakes / fit fancy CBR1100xx fluid lid to brake master cylinder

6. Fit replacement forks

7. Fit wheels / chain / sprockets

8. Refit cans and footpegs

9. Repair RH panel bracket where it fits to v-panel

10. Fit subair filter

11. Oil and filter change

12. Refit body panels

13. Refit radiator and fan, fit radiator guard, fill with coolant.

14. Refit upper cowl stay and clocks

15. More engine cleaning

16. Cameras

17. Buy and fit front disks

Still a way to go, but better than a week ago :)

24 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

This seems strange, it is in the United States but they will not ship to the United States.

Item location:

As I understand it, it's this guy

Roadstercycle

So I had some powder coating done on some brake fittings.

These are a textured matt black, all three caliper mounts done in this.

IMG_4716.thumb.JPEG.0549f17746254ec5b78d924de08bc453.JPEG

Next up, the flat half of the calipers

IMG_4715.thumb.JPEG.f53e6845a5bfa03e66c6b260617425f9.JPEG

And finally another view, showing the stainless steel pistons I have installed

IMG_4714.thumb.JPEG.652cee91bfa8a6c231a59ccd53682472.JPEG

• Like 1

A few more pics from the work so far...

Front and rear wheel bearings done, this is the rear sprocket carrier bearing and new seal 

IMG_4700.thumb.JPEG.c49c1ffbcfed3b28e79ccdda1e31faba.JPEGIMG_4701.thumb.JPEG.112d0c159fc2ee7de758f145b2fa0d98.JPEG

Newly powder coated rear subframe with cleaned plastics

IMG_4703.thumb.JPEG.956be0928094e4d1e2df365f6d791e73.JPEG

Powder coated sidestand and upper cowl stay

IMG_4704.thumb.JPEG.1361f5dccb12cddf065749401ed9d46d.JPEG

Electrosport stator

IMG_4708.thumb.JPEG.ef2d1433ed63e67ab1b77d0efee2163a.JPEG

Calipers awaiting new seals and pistons

IMG_4709.thumb.JPEG.6fbd8389ac444075ad10cae3b59d66c7.JPEG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JaBr said:

A few more pics from the work so far...

Front and rear wheel bearings done, this is the rear sprocket carrier bearing and new seal 

IMG_4700.thumb.JPEG.c49c1ffbcfed3b28e79ccdda1e31faba.JPEGIMG_4701.thumb.JPEG.112d0c159fc2ee7de758f145b2fa0d98.JPEG

Newly powder coated rear subframe with cleaned plastics

IMG_4703.thumb.JPEG.956be0928094e4d1e2df365f6d791e73.JPEG

Powder coated sidestand and upper cowl stay

IMG_4704.thumb.JPEG.1361f5dccb12cddf065749401ed9d46d.JPEG

Electrosport stator

IMG_4708.thumb.JPEG.ef2d1433ed63e67ab1b77d0efee2163a.JPEG

Calipers awaiting new seals and pistons

IMG_4709.thumb.JPEG.6fbd8389ac444075ad10cae3b59d66c7.JPEG

What tool did you use to pull / seat the wheel bearings?  Hammer and drift, motion pro bearing tool? Or something else.

There is one issue with this build. It is so nice that it will be a shame to ride it.  But it HAS to be ridden.

Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, redxxrdr said:

What tool did you use to pull / seat the wheel bearings?  Hammer and drift, motion pro bearing tool? Or something else.

There is one issue with this build. It is so nice that it will be a shame to ride it.  But it HAS to be ridden.

Thanks for posting.

So this is where it gets interesting, I don't own drifts or a bearing tool.  All of the bearings coming out are getting disposed of. 

On the sprocket carrier I removed the old seal by prising it out with a screwdriver, I then turned the carrier face down and used the screwdriver to gently tap it out from behind.  To fit the new bearing I added a smear of LM2 around the edge of the bearing and used the old bearing as a drift.  Gentle triangular tapping motions to seat it correctly, same screwdriver to lift the old bearing out using the chamfered inner edge of the old bearing as a prising point, then use the old bearing again to gently seat the outer seal.

The bearings on both the front and rear wheels follow a similar procedure, there is a metal tube between the inner and outer bearings that you should be able to move slightly with your finger.  I had an old extra long 1/2 inch extension bar that had been damaged many years ago, I used that in place of the screwdriver to pop each bearing from the opposite side.  Refit the bearings in the same way as the sprocket carrier remembering to insert the metal tube before replacing the second bearing.  Be careful not to trap the tube tightly, it should move with a light finger push.

All techniques were shamelessly stole from Delboys Garage on YouTube.

Delboys Garage: Changing motorcycle wheel bearings

I've used his videos for a few of the jobs, headstock bearings being another one.  My bike ('97) had the original bearings still in place, very notchy they were too :( 

It will be ridden, I don't own any Garage Queens :)  Closest to that is my Merc SL280, but that's a daily 6 months of the year whilst my Alfa GT has a rest.

Edited by JaBr

6 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Item location:

VRs for Yamaha r1 are mosfet types, good units can be found for couple bucks on eBay,

• Like 2

Thanks for the instructional.

I used a similar process on my 65. VW RGB bearings.

I'm at 60 k miles, and not ready yet.

I bought a full set after the Tsunami. Just in case manufacturing was damaged.  Now I will have to find them.

Edited by redxxrdr
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 2:32 AM, tomek said:

Nice job but All Balls bearing kits are of criminal quality . They use the ultra cheap Chinese bearings in their kits. 

Been there, never again.

That's interesting, I didn't know that.  Have used them many times in the past and found them to be good.  My VFR has a lot of All-Balls bearings on it and has had zero issues, must have got lucky I guess.

15 hours ago, tomek said:

VRs for Yamaha r1 are mosfet types, good units can be found for couple bucks on eBay,

Useful to know, I'll be looking to upgrade the one on my VFR soon, if I can save a bit on the Mosfet all the better.

All Balls sells lots of junk and supposedly some name brand quality stuff.  My assumption is that they get the cheapest they can find for each application and puts their brand on them.  If they can't find chineesium for an application they might be forced to buy a quality bearing.  Their bullshit marketing hype makes me not trust them.  They use lots of pretty words to imply high end stuff and are smart enough to not say they're no-name Chinese bearings.

• Upvote 1