CBR1100XX.org Forum

1985 Sabre

18 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Not either of mine nor my 1000 Interceptor.

How many miles on yours? The issue is pretty well discussed.

I never owned one, but long ago looked at buying one. Read up on the cam issue. There was a top end mod that supposedly improved oiling and cured the problem

Don't eat bacon/cream cheese stuffed jalepenos before bed.   ...but if you do (I don't like V-bikes (OK, maybe an RC30 or RC51)) here is some light reading by/for the faithful:

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~rblander/V4_cams.html

"Finally, don't be scared off a V4 just because of the cam problem. It's not as though the engine is going to explode any second. The service manager of a large Toronto dealership points out that even the worst cases were ridden into the shop running reasonably well. (This comment is from an article in Cycle Canada magazine.)

Despite all the fear of V4 cams, and the end of the huge Honda campaign to placate even the slightest cases of wear, it is entirely possible, given decent care, to have the cams stay sufficiently healthy for a good long time -- possibly longer than you would want to keep the bike anyway, ..."

The mod used to be $250.

When I was getting rid of my motorcycles because I was told to, I took my V65 Sabre to the dealer to sell it.  They inspected it, and offered $1000 because the cams were bad.  Funny they went bad in two months, as I had checked the valves that March.

I sold it to a different dealer who offered me $1500 without checking the valves.

• 1 month later...

Honda fixed that oiling problem in 1986.  ( I made oil bypass kits for the V-fours.) 

Fwiw, The 1000 Interceptor was my first sport bike. It was a great bike. I ran into a screaming deal on a 1000Ninja

and parted with the Interceptor. The Ninja was faster but the Honda was a better daily road bike. 

I just remembered, they both had 16inch wheels. Buying tires was an adventure. I remember buying a soft set of tires that were totally shot at 2100 miles.

Those were the days.

Edited by CALCXX