CBR1100XX.org Forum

I cant get fluid to the calipers

BK1

Hi I bought the bike last year its got loads of miles and bit tatty it needed  some tlc  the brakes where fine but the rear disc was worn and their was a slight play in the bearing so pulled the back wheel did the bearings and disc and noticed the pots looked crusty with salt and stuff so I pulled the caliper the seals where good and pots cleaned up well with a rag  I had to split the caliper to clean  replaced the brakes  next step changing the fluids  being linked brakes I  looked up the  bleeding sequence  removed the seat cowl  to fill the ress and cracked the front right centre  I got  some of the old fluid through then nothing I was using a vac and pumping the rear brake it just stopped so iI removed the nipple and found the hole was blocked i cleared it got few mils of fluid though the pipe then nothing again i checked the nipple it was clear.  Now here's the weird thing  it will let me pull about 1inch fluid from the ress  then no more im using a vac on the front right center the fluid lvl drops on the ress under the seat cowl  about 1inch  i keep trying for 1 hour and still cant get the fluid though so i pull the nipple the pessure drops out and a fluid lvl raises to the top again on the reservoir so i dont think anythings blocked I just cant get it to the caliper.

the fluid goes from the ress to the ms1 then pcv then ms2  then right front centre caliper I'm not shore if i need to service or bleed the m1 pcv ms2  until i get fluid to them if that possible        The front brakes are working fine I will be doing a service once i get the back sorted and I get to go for ride.

Any thoughts guys ?

Edited by BK1

The blackbird linked brake system has more moving parts than you may realize. There is a proportioning valve, I think under the rear cowl. I say think because I never actually had to mess with mine. Anyway, likely blocked.  I hear this valve is  easily damaged, so be careful. Alternatively, you can delink the whole system with a delink kit, "jaws uk" has one. Personally, I would  keep the linked brakes, once sorted, they work very well. 

3 minutes ago, fizzy said:

The blackbird linked brake system has more moving parts than you may realize. There is a proportioning valve, I think under the rear cowl. I say think because I never actually had to mess with mine. Anyway, likely blocked.  I hear this valve is  easily damaged, so be careful. Alternatively, you can delink the whole system with a delink kit, "jaws uk" has one. Personally, I would  keep the linked brakes, once sorted, they work very well. 

I will remove the proportioning valve next then and strip and clean  thanks for the tip