CBR1100XX.org Forum

Aeration Time / equipment - rent/Hire to plug and seed a lawn

XXitanium

https://www.lawnsite.com/threads/how-long-would-it-take-you-to-aerate-seed-1-acre.35967/

Broadleave junk is shading out my grass. Dandelions are "having a field day"

Figure most of an acre, flat, with hand-push or tow behind.

Does anyone have any success stories or tragedies to share?

At you Arizona folks. I'm not interested in tumbleweeds.

Edited by XXitanium
Aeration has an n in it.

I'm far from an expert.

I seeded my backyard with no prep, grass grew like mad.  It had rained a lot and there was more rain coming so I timed it to where I wouldn't have to do a fuck all for it to germinate.  I did add some kind of lawn fertilizer stuff, tiny white balls that are supposed to be time release stuff.  I spread that with the same seed spreader, a plastic hand crank thing.  I believe my soil is clay, super slick & sticky gooey mud when wet and close to concrete when dry.  No tilling, fertilizing, or any other stuff has been done as far back as I can remember, a few decades at least, if ever.  Now that it's been hot & dry it's starting to yellow, I've been watering here & there to maybe keep it alive.  A green fluffy yard is nice, but not a priority.  I mostly seeded to keep the yard from being a mud pit that gets dragged inside and to have it pretty for my B-day party that got Covided out.  For the next few months grass is mostly just a dust minimizer.

• Upvote 1

What type of grass seed? 

Really depends on your yard. I would not plug ( aerate ) then seed. You will probably end up with dots of grass. I would cut grass really low, bag it, de- thatch it, lay down seed, starter fertilizer (high in nitrogen), possible straw depending on environment. 

If tou you want to spend $$ lay down sod or have someone hydroseed. 

• Upvote 1