CBR1100XX.org Forum

Steering head bearing

Dotetcher

A few years back I changed the steering head bearing on my previous XX. Think it might be time to do the same for this one. Does anyone have that home made tool that was floating around a number of years ago? I got it the first time from AirborneXX who is no longer with us.

Anyway, they quoted me somewhere around $600+ to change them out. WTF??? So I came back home and searched the site for others who had done this and found lots of how to's with pictures and stuff to watch out for. So I decided to do it myself. I order the All-Balls bearings and seals #341-6245, plus the $60+ Stearing Stem Socket, part # 07916-3710101 for the Steering Stem Adjusting nut and a few other tools at Harbor Freight and I was all set to do it myself.

...further consideration...

...Tomek has been around this long?

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

...Tomek has been around this long?

You made me go look and I found this quote from him that made me smile for some reason.

BTW what is wrong with tankslapper,my ex- 99 r1 was slapper happy bike. 

• Upvote 1

Do not order All Balls bearing kits. They use cheapest pile of shit Chinesum so-called bearings. Similar quality bearings go on ebay for couple bucks.

Tapered bearings blows as well.

Yes, I have been around here that long.

Edited by tomek
  • Upvote 2

Also you may find the the length of the bearing assembly is greater for a tapered roller bearing then the ball bearing it replaced. This can force the lower seal to be out of the housing  bore allowing dirt and water into the lower bearing.

+1 for the All Balls, I made the mistake using them, I have that replacement project on the list.

I need to find the bearings, stock Honda I suppose. 

If you know bearing number you can find quality replacement on ebay or online store. 

Look for SKF, NTN and couple other brands.

• Upvote 1