CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gastank longterm use / ownership coated with Por-15

XXitanium

Has anyone done the Por-15 gastank lining procedure on a tank and then retained ownership of their bike for a long time? I'm wondering how it holds up over time.

I bought a replacement for the dented tank on the Hurricane. I'd like to install it and not worry about any rust residue afterwards.

The review appears to be based on reading what the products are supposed to do, not based on actually using any of them.  There was very little information.

I read their review on gasket sealers/gasket makers and wasn't too impressed.  There was MUCH more information, some of it seeming to be incorrect.

There's quite a few others out there. Weirdly enough, some claim drying super hard gives it greater strength while others claim drying to a flexible film means it will never crack and peel. Which one is better? You decide. There are single component and multi component epoxies .

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/red-kote-fuel-tank-sealer-liner.html

https://www.caswellcanada.ca/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/gastanksealer.php?msclkid=af3911961a021df71bf34f5492c0a093&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=TNT - Shopping - NB - Desktop&utm_term=4580153125315098&utm_content=All Products

.Turn off earlier I had been looking at electrolysis for rust removal for an old cb750f tank. I'm thinking of doing that with the hurricane also.

There's no lining in them from the factory is there? I just don't want to get rust clogging up my carburetors or put in the filter and having a filter get clogged either.

Gas tank philosophy.

Avoid gas containing ethanol,  especially if you're letting it sit over the winter etc.

The first main thing assuming no pin holes, we don't want rust coming loose and getting farther into the fuel system. If there is rust in the tank - remove it.

Beyond that, coat it to prevent future rust?

I've had stock tanks with very little problems for many years. I probably should have completely drained the CBX tank when I hydro locked it and didn't know end end date on fixing it.

...I just don't know the state of this Hurricane replacement (what I can see doesn't look bad).

Edited by XXitanium
Philosophy is a word that should be spelled correctly.