CBR1100XX.org Forum

1997 Blackbird dash cluster light replacement

XXitanium

12 hours ago, XXitanium said:

W5W -

So, for me and Hondero, think these will melt plastic?

2-bombillas-norauto-classic-w5w--68163.jpg

I would not be the guinea pig for sure, going from 1.7W to 5W is a big jump.  Aside from the potential of meling stuff, they probably won't last nearly as long as the stock ones.  I also don't understand wanting brighter instrument lights.

14 hours ago, fizzy said:

Agreed, I think LED bulbs are sized as equivalent to incandescent in brightness, based on the ones I have used. They will use far less power. 

As a rule LED replacements (equal of slightly greater output) are cooler and less power than standard bulbs.  If you want to use LEDs running to the old wattage output, you get much brighter with more heat.  Typically what’s in the stores are intended as replacement for stock bulb brightness.

• 1 month later...

Verified voltageWell the incandescent bulbs didn't look burnt we put in different two different sets of LED as we went down to the local parts store. We picked up the bigger base spade lights.

It blinked when we started it. 

We think the connector between the wiring to the back of the dashboard is the problem. It's loose. We put it in position and it's staying on now.

20200702_151641.jpg

20200702_152307.jpg

Hello colleagues, I am going to do an experiment with the 5W bulbs to see the heat they generate, I am going to recreate the siltuation of the bulbs inside the odometer to leave doubts about the heat they give off and the damage they can cause, I have a couple of weeks with the idea but I have not had time, if it is true that the other day I changed the dome and took out a light bulb to see how everything was inside and the truth that there was no symptom of having suffered any damage from the heat, but since I'm worried I'm going to do the experiment. I don't know in your country, but here in Spain it is mandatory to always keep the light on.

By the way XXTitanium, your lights are now very beautiful and shine a lot, that does not bother at night?

I have also thought about buying the same bulbs that I have 5w but in blue, to see how the odometer is, so the mile numbers will also look blue, I have to try it.
I'll tell you ..

Lo and behold...

On 7/2/2020 at 5:59 PM, Hondero said:

XXTitanium, your lights are now very beautiful and shine a lot, that does not bother at night?

We just did my son's dashboard today. It hasn't gotten dark yet. It looked good in the garage with the lights off.

He put in both winters as just amber. That is the old chromed one in the blister pack for spare.

20200702_191710.jpg

Edited by XXitanium

1873/5000

Hello friends, because as I already mentioned I have carried out the experiment and I tell you how it has been ...
I have connected the bulb to 12V with a transformer and indeed when I touched it it was quite hot, so for the avoidance of doubt I have done a home test trying to recreate the conditions of the bulb inside the odometer, a small place without breathing and with plastics that can be melt from the heat, so I tell you the experiment ...

To make the comparison of light I have connected a 1.7 W bulb (the original) and the one I currently have on the bike (5W), and clearly the 5 W bulb looks brighter and it also heats up a lot more and that was my fear.

IMG_20200522_124009.thumb.jpg.d2f0d6d4e076044a92b05abaa514150a.jpg

To recreate an odometer inside I have put the bulb in a glass without breathing and I have also put the bulb in a plastic glove which is the thinnest plastic I have been able to find to see how the heat of the bulb affected it, the bulb at all times it has been in contact with the plastic glove, I have left the light bulb inside the plastic for 20 minutes (enough to see the reaction) and after 20 minutes if the plastic has been slightly deformed but very little, in addition Keep in mind that it was in direct contact with the bulb, when removing the bulb from the plastic it came out without problems and had not stuck with the plastic although it has been deformed a little, but eye is a very very thin plastic and was wrapping all the light bulb,

IMG_20200522_125948.thumb.jpg.d509961ed77aeb601f308f893ff9507a.jpg

IMG_20200522_124332.thumb.jpg.bd448f996501efdfd2d1c7033f58d85d.jpg

IMG_20200522_130238.thumb.jpg.1983fefbca72de7230a3100287f56651.jpg

IMG_20200522_130402.thumb.jpg.c549d9e274673c97c600a8c68587ecbc.jpg

With which the conclusion that I draw is that you can rest easy and these bulbs will not deform our internal plastics, in a trip of 5 or 6 hours I have not tested it, but I have been with the bike for more than two hours in a row and no problem, And now after doing the experiment that I have carried out I am already calm and with the certainty that even if it generates heat nothing will happen.
IMG_20200115_210922.thumb.jpg.ea75ea79866a4732a6d4bededdb2bdbf.jpg

That's it, now I am calm with the 5w lights. I have to test the same light bulb but in blue, to see if the numbers make them more blue and it looks more beautiful, as soon as I try it I upload it and see how it would look ...
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Hondero said:

With which the conclusion that I draw is that you can rest easy and these bulbs will not deform our internal plastics

Your test was interesting, but mostly useless.  While the thin glove would seem more fragile than the instrument cluster, being so thin it is able to dissipate the heat more easily.  It's also a different material so not knowing the temperature tolerances of both materials makes the glove a pretty useless test material.  If you glove tested the original bulb and the 5w and the 5w did less damage to the glove then it would likely be a solid conclusion that the 5w is safe.

• 1 year later...

I've been running clear bulbs with the clear lenses on my turn signals for at least 10 years now and never had an issue with police. When turned on they give off a yellowish-amber color.

513045449_turnsignal.thumb.jpg.ad4f7bb5285df2f1593ffec53f9ed686.jpg

939364083_turnsignaloff.thumb.jpg.84404fe3778c7aa926e39c8d4ef8f00f.jpg

2 hours ago, TFT said:

I've been running clear bulbs with the clear lenses on my turn signals for at least 10 years now and never had an issue with police.

Last I looked white is legal for a front turn signal, but I believe that varying from stock with non DOT parts is illegal.

I assume you didn't put projector beams in the headlight, so it would be a standard H7 HID bulb at the appropriate color rating. 

Swap the connectors to make sure it's the bulb that's given up, it's not uncommon for ballasts to go bad.  And of course, check the connections because with the higher current and voltage that goes through the HID, connections can oxidize or burn if there's an air gap anywhere.

Thanks for the know-how.

He took it to work today, a forty mile trip. He seemed genuinely excited. He said he could feel the difference with the new tires.

His close friends are kind of basement dwellers most of which have chemically reduced their own drive to achieve.  ...not bad kids, just no direction. He only has one acquaintance that I know of that has a bike. 

I told him to go find some guys to ride with. Maybe we could both scare up a couple guys each and make a day or a weekend of it.

I never thought of birds as small bikes.

Hobi is sending peg lowering brackets.

Thanks for the nice bike Joe (and Ben)

20210715_132955.jpg

20210715_133048.jpg

9 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

check the connections because with the higher current and voltage that goes through the HID, connections can oxidize or burn if there's an air gap anywhere.

The block under the dash near the right grip?