CBR1100XX.org Forum

viffer winter project part2

tomek

After 5-6 coats of candy and 3 coats of clear.

I'm very pleased with results but we are not done yet. It will be wet sanded again and cleared with different clear for even more depth.

Today I used UC35, final step will be done with UFC35 clear.

All products used today are from House of Kolor.

IMG_20200509_173147150.jpg

IMG_20200509_173140873.jpg

Edited by tomek
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On the previous thread you say you scuffed the decal with 600. Is this necessary? Doesn't this peel the edges up?

Very nice work by the way.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

On the previous thread you say you scuffed the decal with 600. Is this necessary? Doesn't this peel the edges up?

Very nice work by the way.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Yes, scuffing is necessary. You need to create, in this case, mechanical bound. Also 600 will smooth  edges, don't worry about decals going dull. With all those coats on top of them it won't matter.

BTW, I forgot I was supposed to pull decals off after I sprayed Ice Pearls. Decal area would have only silver metallic as a base, the rest - metallic plus Ice Pearls. That Honda wing supposed to be bearly noticable.

After 3 coats of candy I realized I f uped, so I just kept going. lol, but I like the end result, it is more aggressive.

I've spent another quality 3 hrs in the spray booth. I had to hurry up so I painted 3 colors simultaneously. It helps when there are extra guns laying around. 

Wife's helmet was plain black- totally unacceptable, even imho insulting. I used oem paint as a base for Black Sparkle pearl. PBC100. Black sparkle is an excellent base for cameleon or color changing pearls. Today was just a start.

I also painted one of my shoei x12 in Ultra Orange pbc64 over white primer-sealer.  Same story, today was just a start. I need that orange on the top and bottom of helmet.

Both helmets were clear coated, although pic was taken before orange helmet was done, that's why is looks matte.

Mirrors and side bags were next. Platinum Pearl, cleared with  3 ppg coats.

IMG_20200516_121323337.jpg

Next step was reclearing previously painted platinum and candy blue parts.

I used different, higher gloss clear overreduced, so there is no orange peal whatsoever. 

Not all clearcoats are created equal. UFC35 layes like a glass.

BTW, for some reason camera does not show the color correctly.

IMG_20200516_133524520.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The project continues, I should have all painted panels installed by Saturday. 

Today's episode is quick shifter sensor maintenance. Bike has Bazzas Quick shifter+ Traction Control+ fuel mapping unit. Couple months after installation Quick Shifter stopped working. I blamed  shitty aftermarket quality but eventually decided to investigate the problem.

It turned out the sensor is very simple design- spring loaded pushrod connected to electric on/off switch. In order for the sensor to work pushrod has to move about 2mm when gear lever moves. I was not getting enough movement due to partially seized rod in the steel bushing. Valve lapping compound and some elbow grease fixed the problem in 10 minutes.

Bazzaz is a nice unit, killed time can be adjusted by gear, typically lower gears require longer cut off time.

IMG_20200607_103225845.jpg

Edited by tomek

It was brand new  and I started having issues after 2 months of usage. 

It is design issue, it is basically open to elements. On the other hand Yamaha`s oem sensor incorporates couple o-rings effectively making it waterproof but you still get crap on it after while.

I used engine molly assembly lube, we'll see how long before problems come back. 

They should have used small rubber boot to cover pushrod-bushing area.

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Did you coat it with anti-seize?

A liberal dose of acetone should cure it, whatever the problem was.

• 3 weeks later...

Swapped fairings couple weeks ago. Initially I was not convinced that platinum pearl was the right way to go but now I love it. Color combination has 50's American Iron vibe. It was lottsa work but I love it.

It is beautiful blue in direct bright sun, goes into blue-teal in the shade.

IMG_20200624_161435670_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200624_161550155_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200624_162554116_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Not exactly the same color, or paint quality. But that blue / teal color gets lots of complements.

Beautiful job you did there.

See Rich, it's no longer yellow.

0119141458.jpg

1 hour ago, DBLXX said:

When you can please post up a complete side shot.

I gotta fly you in and let you detail it.

BTW, Ill be in MT with the bike starting July 3rd, maybe I'll take couple shots in proper Blue Big Sky scenery.

Edited by tomek

• 2 weeks later...

Top of Old Spiral Hwy Lewiston ID. It is much faster then expected, I could easily dip into lower triple digits on my race prepped R1.

Cruising milage  improved by honest 10%, I get 40 mpg at true 85 mph in configuration as in the pic.

IMG_20200704_072416482.jpg

Edited by tomek
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1