CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil change/shifting experience.

superhawk996

Not sure what you mean.  All vehicle makers are being pushed by EPA to extend the oil change intervals and to run lighter oils.  The balance of this is the only question, between engine life and economy/waste.

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

...straight up polite question with no insults.

Me too @tomek

Lol. That subject has been beaten to death, he knows very well how it went, so to bring it again after almost 3 years,,,,there was nothing polite about it.

But of course I'm the one who is an asshole. Lol. Those two very fine gentleman are never guilty of anything, they are intellectually honest and well intended 24/7.

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

...straight up polite question with no insults.

Me too @tomek , were you running a lighter oil? I used to get freaked out about my one mechanic had me go down to 5W-20? Rotella T6 for winter in my 7.3L diesel.

Right now I'm considering trying the T6 in my XX for this year.

IIRC rotella t6 comes only in 5w40 grade so,,,,

Well, I guess it has changed. There are now three grades of synthetic t6, 0w/40, 5w/40 and 15w/40. Last two have motorcycle jaso ma/ma2 specifications.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-and-blend-oil/t6-full-synthetic.html

My company runs synthetic 5w/30 in 15 liter Cummins and couple older Cats.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:19 PM, XXitanium said:

I'm young and impressionable. If someone doesn't disprove this, I might try it.

....this one?

What caused the damage to the chain?

4 hours ago, tomek said:

My company runs synthetic 5w/30 in 15 liter Cummins and couple older Cats.

Is that normal for a large truck engine?  I know nothing about large diesels but thought they would run thick oil because of the load and many not being turned off that often.

5-10w/30 is a standard for modern class 8 truck engine. 20 years ago everyone was running on 15w/40.

Everything gets thinner except for population.

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Everyone is wrong, and if you dare question anything, you're a moron and you're attacking.

Ten minutes ago I was reading the oil specs for my new truck.  It comes with, and they recommend 0W-20.  There's a lot of weasel language in the oil section, but basically it comes down to recommending this for fuel economy.  They "allow" other weights such as 5w-20, 10w-30, and similar ranges.  So the recommendations may be pushed by EPA and not engine longevity.  Interesting.

EPA pushed, but how the vehicle is used should dictate which weight is better.  In high heat and towing I think a heavier oil would be better, and for daily grocery getting the lighter is probably better.  Then add variable valve timing and things get more critical/confusing.  Since 10-30 is approved my opinion is that it should be best in the summer, especially for towing.  5-30 is probably a good year round compromise for mild and towing use.  For pure mall crawling a 0-20 or 5-20 is maybe a bit better.

And none of them will probably cause any measurable harm, unless you're the fastest guy at the track, then use whatever Tomek says is garbage.

8 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I used to get freaked out about my one mechanic had me go down to 5W-20? Rotella T6 for winter in my 7.3L diesel.

Probably 5-40, I don't think there's a 20 available for diesels.  After a lot of research I'm running Rotella T6 5-40 in mine year round.  The only real downside I know of with running an oil with a large spread like 5-40, compared to 15-40, is that the additives are more compromised.  But according to lots of used oil analysis, despite the 7.3 being hard on oil, that stuff does well even out to pretty high mile change intervals.  I won't suggest going past 7k intervals just cuz, but the UOAs I've seen say that it's perfectly safe.  The more it leaks or burns and has to be topped off the longer the oil will go.  Even tho it turns black & scary looking, replacing even a small amount adds lots of life to the oil.  Some big rigs have an on board oil change system that replaces about 2 of the 10-11 gallons of oil in the engine automatically and that small amount about doubles the change interval.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Is that normal for a large truck engine?  I know nothing about large diesels but thought they would run thick oil because of the load and many not being turned off that often.

Lighter oils are becoming more common for all engines.  The lightest I've seen recommended for diesels is 10-30 by Ford for the 6.7, but they also say that for heavy duty use and if running B20 to run 15-40.  The EPA has mandated lighter oils, the better oils have made it possible to run lighter oils without damage.  It stands to reason that using the advanced oils in the higher weights might be better, but maybe not for mild use.

Way back I had a customer with a late 80s Mercedes 500SEL that called for 5-30 or 10-30, don't recall.  That same car in Germany called for 20-50.  Who's right, or is anyone wrong?  Dunno.

4 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

What caused the damage to the chain?

You are asshole non-cuban  just as bad as the brother's .  go Fuck yur self

Copy pasted from Tomek's thoughts.

• Like 1

Everyone knows slapper is trolling but you, and your bro, can't just let it go. You suffered epic whoop ass on that particular thread and, based on  your recent behavior, it still hurts. 

It has been almost 3 years but you still try to drag it out any chance you get. Pathetic and embarrassing. Even 99.78% of women would have let it go by now. 

Both of you project shit 24/7, especially on reddrag, courious if any of you own a mirror, and if you do, know how to use it.

I don't even know what whoop ass thread you're talking about so no clue what you're referring to.  No hurt here, just reacting to your epic dickishness which happens to come out frequently.

So now you're butt hurt just because you discovered that I'm not, no surprise.  A real man would show which thread he thought Carlos & I got our asses whooped on.

My Gladiator is definitely the fastest on the track.  I have two years/four free oil changes so I guess it will just get six month changes of whatever the dealer feels like putting into it.

I still don't even know what arguments Tomek is having with me, or that he "beat" me on.  I've been making fun of a couple of things that I didn't even know we were arguing about, and he still reacts to years later.  But I don't actually know why.  If you try something rational like asking, all you get back is accusations of now trying to not fight, which is apparently unmanly. 

This all reminds me of a debate on the Jeep forums about putting a K&N in the Gladiator for more power.  Of course I and a few others dispelled that bullshit, but one guy keeps arguing about how he once worked on an AMG where they saw "big gains" with a K&N.  Sure, let's compare a 600 HP track car to a stock Gladiator, as evidence.

My only logical guess is that he's stuck on something from the past and assumes that we are, but I really don't have a damn clue what it is.  I'm hampered by my inability to think of the irrational reason so guessing will never work.

The TJ has a K&N style filter/intake system and it's way quicker than the XJ, must be that intake!

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

So now you're butt hurt just because you discovered that I'm not, no surprise.  A real man would show which thread he thought Carlos & I got our asses whooped on.

Real man will not waste any more time on clowns like you. You just talk in circles.

See yea.

Edited by tomek

53 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

My only logical guess is that he's stuck on something from the past and assumes that we are, but I really don't have a damn clue what it is.  I'm hampered by my inability to think of the irrational reason so guessing will never work.

I think one thing was that I told Dave to use something he didn't approve of, and Tomek assumed I was saying "you are wrong."  When all I was doing was telling Dave to use what he had on hand, was safe, and things based on knowing Dave for...shit, 20 years now.  There are often many right answers in the real world, but apparently not on his planet.  I can only think that there are dozens of other irrational assumptions like that behind all the issues.

Anyway, ignoring is working best.  Just don't see one word.

Sigh,  as soon as I saw 3 pages of posts, I knew this thread was going to be another Jerry Springer episode, staring Tomek and Oscar, and/or Carlos.  Sigh.

😔

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jon haney said:

Sigh,  as soon as I saw 3 pages of posts, I knew this thread was going to be another Jerry Springer episode, staring Tomek and Oscar, and/or Carlos.  Sigh.

😔

I made the mistake of trying to have a normal conversation with him, my mistake.