CBR1100XX.org Forum

Thinking about a Winch

rockmeupto125

I got a small winch.  But I do some bigger things.  I don't drag cars up over banks or yank trees out of the ground, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have a winch that will easily pull a car or truck onto a trailer without a hassle.

Do any of you "wheelers" have any feedback on the Badland winches from Harbor Fright?  Online reviews are mostly "hey, I took this out of the box, it looks great."

Thanks!

I haven't used one, but from what I've heard they're good.  I've installed and used a few Tough Stuff winches and they've done well, Carlos' was worked hard a few times.

As I stated in the other thread, I have the 2500 ATV winch and the 5000 winch.  The 5000 has never failed to pull anything on the car trailer including a loaded down Nissan Armada.  It is mounted in a toolbox on the tongue of the trailer to mostly protect it from the elements.  I've had it 6-7 years.  The newer line is supposed to be even better.

Bought the newer 5000 today.  Found the 25% off coupon code online and ordered it through their site.  With shipping it came out to $2.00 more than going to the store and getting it, but Mobile is at 20% of store capacity rules right now plus it would cost me more than $2.00 in gas to get there.

11 minutes ago, Furbird said:

Bought the newer 5000 today.  Found the 25% off coupon code online and ordered it through their site.  With shipping it came out to $2.00 more than going to the store and getting it, but Mobile is at 20% of store capacity rules right now plus it would cost me more than $2.00 in gas to get there.

They were closed today anyway.

Harbor Freight Tools Holiday Hours Close

Most Harbor Freight Tools stores are CLOSED on these holidays:

Easter Sunday Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day  

1 hour ago, Furbird said:

Special Easter Sunday Hours
In order to give our associates personal time on Easter Sunday, our stores will be open from Noon to 5 pm.

From the email I got from HF Friday.  They were open.

You made me go look, ya you are correct.

A Tuff Stuff 12.5k has survived a lot on my Jeep, with some monster pulls, just keeps working.  That Jeep is gone, and I need a low-profile for the new one, so I'm also considering Smitty.

I think for what you're talking about though you'd be fine with a much smaller and less expensive winch.  I have no specific recommendations there, or experience.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

A Tuff Stuff 12.5k has survived a lot on my Jeep, with some monster pulls, just keeps working.  That Jeep is gone, and I need a low-profile for the new one, so I'm also considering Smitty.

I think for what you're talking about though you'd be fine with a much smaller and less expensive winch.  I have no specific recommendations there, or experience.

I just installed a low profile Smitty 9K on Greg's Tacoma, it'll probably be there this weekend for viewing.  The control box mounting flexibility came in handy on his, the structure wouldn't have allowed for a typical one that's part of the winch.

• 2 years later...

I need a winch. My buddy was just talking about burying the 35 horse tractor that has a front bucket and a back-hoe on it. He doesn't have a winch either. He does have a real nice Harley though.

I'm not accomplishing anything at the moment...

On 5/7/2022 at 3:24 PM, XXitanium said:

I need a winch. My buddy was just talking about burying the 35 horse tractor that has a front bucket and a back-hoe on it. He doesn't have a winch either. He does have a real nice Harley though.

I'm not accomplishing anything at the moment...

It takes real talent to get a rig like that stuck, where it would require a winch to get it out.  You did say he owned a Harley, though.

18 hours ago, XXitanium said:

He actually placed the bucket on a stump and push, and was able to walk it back out without getting his boots muddy.

That's how I did it with a Ford 4000 and front bucket.  More than once.  Third time I needed a big winch.  Hard to walk it back when one side is buried in the ditch, and your rear box blade is still sitting on the edge of the road with the 3-point all the way up.  My dad was pissed.

• Upvote 1