CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lost all front lights ( Fixed)

rockertom

Took the bird to the store yesterday. Came out and bam, no lights up front. Nothing, no running, turn, high beam. Checked fuse. Pulled the under dash covers thinking my HID cutoff switch came apart. Wasn’t it. Rode it home. Pulled windscreen. Started with the volt meter trying to find the problem. Pulled the starter switch from the old bird. Thinking the thumb button went bad. Plugged in and again nothing. What are the odds two switches are bad? Pretty slim. Called my mechanic. He’s an old retired Honda mechanic as well. Usually does my services on the bird. Told him what all I went thru. He says, yea I had that on another bird years ago. Pull the connection block from behind the nose fairing. Check the manual for which wire is the lighting. Put the volt meter on the in and out. Low and behold. 12v going in. 1.5v coming out. Snipped the wires and put a new connection on per his direction. Wham. All the lights are back and working again. I’ll put it all back together tomorrow. It’s Fuking hot out.

EB94350E-CF79-476D-A19B-3D56D85733FF.jpeg

4F6405C6-273D-4DCC-8D83-3A33931754BC.jpeg

402E0D9F-41F7-4CE2-9EBE-22B5095FD387.jpeg

Ha! Had to do this exact field repair on my FJ1200 in a hotel parking lot on a multi-week trip. Absolutely could not get the connector apart. 

• Like 1

having been in this neighborhood last week trying to fit an led bulb, can you enlighten me as to how you accessed the lower 2 bolts of the cluster?

5 hours ago, ptxyz said:

having been in this neighborhood last week trying to fit an led bulb, can you enlighten me as to how you accessed the lower 2 bolts of the cluster?

Remove the two under dash plastics. Then a 10mm open/closed either or wrench from the bottom. Was able to work fingers from top and bottom auto unscrew them after getting loose. Reverse for putting back on.

Edited by rockertom
  • Upvote 1

All back together now. Take it out after dark and see how it all looks. Also adjusted the low beam a bit lower. See how it looks. Added some cool white LED’s to the dash while it was a part. Really need to do an LED high beam now. Looks awkward with the halogen. 
edit: not sure if you can see it. But there is a switch on the under dash plastic. Below the key. This is my bypass to keep the HID off until it’s started. Save from a double cycle.

3F61BFFD-D451-4448-B578-AB9062E7BA3B.jpeg

9456F0BD-F258-466B-94D9-79E3856BA691.jpeg

Edited by rockertom

Great to have an experienced wrench to call on. 

Back in the day I was bracket racing my GSXR, having rode it to the strip 75 miles one way. Eliminations went till 1am, and tired I left to drive home.......and....no low beam, and running lights. I high beamed it home, pissing off drivers on the interstate for an hour. 

Tore it down, and found a few wires had pulled loose from a connector. It sucked tracking it down, but I was happy it was a simple repair..

Holeshots and wheelies are hard on everything.