CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fixin' my Gas Can.

rockmeupto125

I've got a 30 gallon fuel caddy that I use at the track and around the farm to keep ethanol free gas for all my toys.

It has a hand cranked dual direction rotary vane pump onto it and last year it was leaking pretty bad at the center seal.  I pulled it apart, took the numbers off the seal and found replacements. Good to go, except the thin o-ring that fits into a shallow groove in the pump body and seals the outside of the pump chamber seemed to  have expanded a bit.  With a little help from a couple thin knife blades and an extra pair of hands I was able to get everything back in place and working without a big leak. This year, it was leaking more, and I pulled it apart with the thought of having to replace the shaft seal again, but that wasn't the problem. In trying to put it all back together, it was obvious the o-ring had expanded some more and was NOT going back in place. I ended up cutting and shortening it to get it back into the groove, and put up with the small leak at the top of the pump where I placed the break.

I need to seal up the pump, but have no idea where to source one, the pump is of course made of chinesium.  I can order bunches of o-rings and hope I get on that fits.  Measuring these is always iffy, but it's around 1.5mm thickness with a diameter of 3-ish inches.

What I'm looking for is a sealant that's gasoline resistant to fill up the o-ring groove.  Wax paper often works well for these applications, but I the pump cover mates flush with the body and provides the pump chamber. I don't want to space it out, as the vane holder may tip and damage the pump.

I suspect this was not rated for gasoline, only diesel.  I need a hose for it too, but that's another pursuit.

So what sealant could I use that doesn't require me buying a gallon, or ordering a $400 bottle of miracle grow from an aircraft supply warehouse?

Thanks!

Make your own oring.

https://www.mcmaster.com/o-ring-splicing-kits/

This is McMaster Carr but lots of other kits out there.

Would this sealant work?

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-permashield-fuel-resistant-gasket-dressing-flange-sealant/

4 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

So what sealant could I use that doesn't require me buying a gallon, or ordering a $400 bottle of miracle grow from an aircraft supply warehouse?

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/tape-glues-and-adhesives/glues-and-epoxy/10840?store=11677&gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SIhM1XoluKkeN1LxDxgiSW1pcpaKhwLzfUOViBDCaExqHZ1-uMa2hRoCzBAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

My guess is there is nothing I can get reasonably that is impervious to gasoline, so I'll have to do the resistant variety and depend on fuel filters for any that decides to leach off.

Just remembered https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive-rv-and-marine/auto-tools-and-maintenance/stop-leak-compounds/8133431?x429=true&gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SOIZEYBxQhrRWVgujCiIZCvqPDyYXf9sAHqSx9bbinUbQTsN0HEsixoCxZUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It comes with a piece of fiberglass cloth that you obviously don't need, the epoxy is gas proof.  It's a one shot deal, unless you separate the epoxy to mix small batches, so if you have other stuff to fix you can prep them to make more use of the kit.

The groove is for the oring, and I need to have some sealing media if the oring isn't there. I doubt my ability to make a perfect bead of epoxy, and would need to assemble it wet to make a seal.

And you're correct, Captain, I don't really want something to fill the groove, I want something to keep the pump from leaking when I bolt it together.

I vote you get a new o-ring, specifically Viton material.  That will handle almost anything petroleum.  Buna-N or Nitrile should too.  Don't know what the Chinese used.  Any place that repairs hydraulics should have something, or know where to send you.

RTV Silicone could work for sealing, but might be difficult to get apart later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jon haney said:

RTV Silicone could work for sealing

Most RTV won't work with gasoline, have to be careful and select one that will, if there are any.

4 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

The groove is for the oring, and I need to have some sealing media if the oring isn't there. I doubt my ability to make a perfect bead of epoxy, and would need to assemble it wet to make a seal.

And you're correct, Captain, I don't really want something to fill the groove, I want something to keep the pump from leaking when I bolt it together.

Take it to a shop as has been said, or measure the I.D. and O.D. of the groove and order one online.  Or get an O-ring kit, they're handy to have around for us tinkerers.  HF has cheepos, they get the job done.

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Race and AV gas being the best.

I don't know about AV but I have left race fuel dry up in a fuel cell (it took years) with no residue or crude left.  It is great stuff except for the price.

From the little I've seen, race leave little residue and what is left is soft, rather than the coral reef that regular gas makes.  My Banshee (before I bought it) was parked for many years with race gas/oil mix in the tank with the valve left open so as it was evaporating in the carbs it was being replenished, perfect setup for totaling the carbs.  They had a nasty sticky gelatinous buildup, but all it took was some spray cleaner and they were good to go.  I might have been about to just put some fresh gas in and waited and it would have re-dissolved the goo, but I expected to have to chisel out some crust.  I don't recall ever buying something super neglected with straight race gas in it to see what happens, but I have bought some two strokes that had street gas/oil mix and tho it's not as bad as straight gas, they were worse than the Banshee in a much shorter time.

Race is more stable and doesn't degrade as fast, pretty sure AV is too.  Street gas is said to be degraded within a few months, some race gasses are stated as good for 2-3 years, and probably still usable well after that, just not as good.  Super unleaded supposedly lasts longer than regular.  My can of race gas shows very little sign of pressure changes, the can of street gas is a ballon when it's hot out and sucked in when it's cold.   When I shake or stir a can of regular gas it balloons, the race doesn't.  

I've mentioned it in the past, while talking to some veterans that maintained a military armor museum, that they informed me they had been buying AV gas by the truck load. They reported it lasted in storage at least 4 years without problems. They also said that no commercial fuel stabilizers were worth a shit.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:48 PM, XXBirdSlapper said:

They also said that no commercial fuel stabilizers were worth a shit.

Don't think much of Sta-Bil, but been using Briggs & Stratton "Fresh-Start" for over 10 years with zero issues.  It costs half of what Sta-Bil does, and takes half as much per gallon.  Guaranteed to keep gas fresh for 2 years.