CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fixin' my Gas Can.

rockmeupto125

1 hour ago, jon haney said:

Don't think much of Sta-Bil, but been using Briggs & Stratton "Fresh-Start" for over 10 years with zero issues.  It costs half of what Sta-Bil does, and takes half as much per gallon.  Guaranteed to keep gas fresh for 2 years.

Have you tested that?

3 hours ago, jon haney said:

Don't think much of Sta-Bil, but been using Briggs & Stratton "Fresh-Start" for over 10 years with zero issues.  It costs half of what Sta-Bil does, and takes half as much per gallon.  Guaranteed to keep gas fresh for 2 years.

Where are you buying it at?  A quick search isn't turning up cheap stuff.

22 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Have you tested that?

Went 1.5 years on a chipper/shredder.  Started on the first pull.  To be fair, that was non-ethanol gas.

19 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Where are you buying it at?  A quick search isn't turning up cheap stuff.

I'm still going through my Dad's stash.  He worked on mowers for over 30 years.  Looks like Briggs & stratton has 3 names:  Fuel Fit, Fresh-Start, and just plain Fuel Treatment.  Lowe's is showing it under the Fresh-Start name, which is blue in color like what I have been using.  I believe the red stuff is basically the same thing.

Didn't say it was cheap, but you do have to compare the mix ratio with others.  Four ounces treats like 20 gallons.

2 hours ago, jon haney said:

Didn't say it was cheap, but you do have to compare the mix ratio with others.

It costs half of what Sta-Bil does, and takes half as much per gallon.

Sta-Bil is like $4 or 5 for 8oz at Walmart.  I was just wondering if there was something better, not getting on you.

This guy did a long term storage test and to save you the long listen, the result was that with non-e gas the stabilizer makes no difference.  The damage done and the gasoline's flammability were the same with and without the treatment.  This might explain Jon's success and the Fresh-Start might be doing nothing.

With e-10 there was a notable difference.  The stabilizer didn't keep the gas from becoming useless, but the damage to carb parts was reduced.

With E-85 you're probably fucked with or without treatment.

Past research and talking with "sales" reps all seem to agree with internet reviews that Star Brite brand is the best performing and lowest cost per oz on the market. But yes they all only claim to be effective on ethanol based fuels and make no claims for pure gas other than possibly a bit of cleaning action for carbs or injectors.

50 minutes ago, John01XX said:

Past research and talking with "sales" reps all seem to agree with internet reviews that Star Brite brand is the best performing and lowest cost per oz on the market. But yes they all only claim to be effective on ethanol based fuels and make no claims for pure gas other than possibly a bit of cleaning action for carbs or injectors.

Startron used to claim, right in their printed material, that someone saw their RPM go down for a given boat speed.  The fact that someone let that go to print with zero reality check astounds me.

21 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Sta-Bil is like $4 or 5 for 8oz at Walmart.  I was just wondering if there was something better, not getting on you.

Haven't priced it in awhile.  May have changed.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Sta-bil has a shelf life of two years, Fresh-start's isn't stated.  Does someone make a stabilizer stabilizer?

Not sure about shelf life, but most of mine is 5 years old or more and still appears to work.