CBR1100XX.org Forum

Voltage regulator

joblock

does anyone have any experience or thoughts regarding the series type voltage Regulators such as the shindengen SH847. Also does anyone know what the black wire on the voltage regulator is for?

Did you make any connection to where the black wire was previously? Looking at the factory wiring diagram it appears the black wire might have something to do with operating the fuel pump.

I just spoke to Jack at Roadster cycles and to answer my own question the black wire is an Exciter wire to the Honda regulator and not needed with the sh847 regulator.

The SH847 from roadstercycles is probably the ultimate R/R you can install on the bird. However, it is bigger than stock, and may require a bit of fab work to fit. I had an FH020AA also from jack, it is slightly smaller than the 847, and easier to mount. Either way, get jacks "superkit", which has wiring direct to battery. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NoOne65 said:

I use to swear by the R1 regulators but they would last a year or so on my 97...switched to the series from Jack as above and havent looked back

I put a R1 on my 97 years ago as a preventative measure and never had a issue.  I really think but have no proof that where you live and how you ride changes the life of the R/R.  I live in the north and use the bike to play on the back roads and put it away.  I don't think my cooling fan even came on last year so you can see the difference in heat between me and you sitting in New Orleans traffic at noon.

• Upvote 2

Smoke test on the sh 847 was successful, the smoke stayed in. Voltage steady at 14.5 headlight off or headlights with high beams on plus 60 watt heated vest. The regulator was barely warm to the touch at 50 degrees ambient temperature. Jack at roadstercycle was great to deal with. highly recommended.