CBR1100XX.org Forum

New radiator for an '04 EFI - good deals in UK?

StubirdBluebird

My radiator has been on its way out for a while now, but it seems to have finally shat the bed last week and is now steadily leaking coolant.

In my search for a replacement, I've come across this article which recommends a particular company which custom builds them (East End Radiators in Glasgow).

I've also seen a cheaper one on the Jaws website.

If anyone's had any experience with either of these, or can recommend something else (apart from the £800+ OEM rad) I'd appreciate your wisdom!

Stu.

Post up on the forum at www.superblackbird.co.uk and you will get lots of replies about the Jaws model offered since Jaws is a Mod for the that forum. John (Jaws) is a straight shooter and will give you good info and help if needed. I have bought many items from Jaws and always very satisfied with the products and always have help available if questions or issues come up.

• Upvote 1

No experience with them, but my first thought is to see if yours can be repaired.  I've used this a few times and it really works https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09104-Radiator-Repair-Kit/dp/B000ALBYUY  Another option is to take it to a radiator shop and see if it can be repaired.  Or get a used stock one.

Curious, did something abnormal happen to it (impact, corrosion, etc.) or just age and miles?

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

No experience with them, but my first thought is to see if yours can be repaired.  I've used this a few times and it really works https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09104-Radiator-Repair-Kit/dp/B000ALBYUY  Another option is to take it to a radiator shop and see if it can be repaired.  Or get a used stock one.

Curious, did something abnormal happen to it (impact, corrosion, etc.) or just age and miles?

The bike has had quite a few miles, almost 60k, and there was already a fair amount of corrosion on the mounting brackets etc.
I don't think there was an impact in particular that did it, but it's definitely time to replace!

2 hours ago, John01XX said:

Post up on the forum at www.superblackbird.co.uk and you will get lots of replies about the Jaws model offered since Jaws is a Mod for the that forum. John (Jaws) is a straight shooter and will give you good info and help if needed. I have bought many items from Jaws and always very satisfied with the products and always have help available if questions or issues come up.

Thanks, have had a look at that forum and will probably become a member!

40 minutes ago, StubirdBluebird said:

Thanks, have had a look at that forum and will probably become a member!

Stu,
I am good friends and business associate with John (Jaws) myself. I also know a bunch of the BlackBird riders/owners in England very well. John actually sold his business (Jaws Motorcycles) and retired but is still active on the forum and organizes annual Blackbird Bash get togethers the last week of May, (Bank Holiday) in Thetford. I attended 6 times myself back in the early 2000's.
He is a wealth of knowledge on the BlackBird and has helped out many blokes over there.